1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye-bye P-I: One man's -30-

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ArnoldBabar, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

One bit of good news: I just found out that two sports staffers will be staying with the online product. They're good guys, and I'm happy for them.

2. Dave,

I'm very glad that I had the privilege to meet you last summer. My thoughts are with you and the rest of your co-workers at P-I. You are one hell of a stand up guy and I know you will pull through this. I will be thinking of you and your co-workers as I knock a few back. Although I am not in the journalism profession, it pains me to see papers just giving up like this. If you need anything, know GB and I are here for you.

CC

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. Best of luck to you. My God, what the hell is happening?

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

David,

I'm sorry is so inadequate. But I am.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Just caught the end of the NBC Nightly News' piece on the closing of the P-I. It wasn't very long and seemed to gloss over the issues leading to the demise of the paper, but hopefully it struck some sort of chord with the viewers.

7. Doubt it.
    There was some poll or something recently about readers and their local papers... the majority said that they could not care less if the local papers closed up shop and went away.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i am also sad beyond words. they all ring so hollow for lifers like us, all of whom are scared shitlesss that we can be next -- with no place left to go other than the real world, which sucks.

stay strong for your family, david. it's the best any of us can do. :'( :'( :'(

9. crunchy frog

crunchy frog New Member

AB,

Your comments to start this thread were very classy and say a lot about you as a person. Thank you for your contributions over the years to our journalism profession. I pray you'll have a second act.

The same sentiment for your colleagues at the PI.

studthug12 likes this.
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All our best wishes are belong to you, Arnold. Obviously, no one is going to be there when the Internet comes for us. But who will be there for the people when the bad things that there'll be no newspapers around to uncover come for them?

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I don't know you, but I admire your closing words very much.
    The best to you and your compatriots.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

babar - tonight, i hope you and your coworkers can find the will to allow the scotch to taste sweet.

for at least one day, worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. enjoy being with those you'll miss the most for one evening.

Draft saved Draft deleted