1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye-bye Busch Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 18, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Not a chance in hell. I'd be willing to bet that there's not a sponsorship deal in all of professional sports that's more profitable for the sponsoring company than Bud's deal with Junior. (And by the way, if there's ever a vote for craziest sports fans in general, I'll take Junior's throng and give odds.)

As for the Nextel guys in the soon-to-be-former Busch Series, eh, what's the big deal? I've heard a lot of whining about this over the years and nobody has been able to tell me yet who this hurts. It doesn't seem to hurt the up-and-coming drivers, since the Cup "drivers of the future" are decided long before they get to this stage. It doesn't hurt the fans, since most of them would much rather watch Harvick, Stewart and Martin race than they would Johnny Sauter and Reed Sorensen. It doesn't hurt NASCAR, since having these guys in the field only ups the ticket sales.

I'm missing why this is such a huge travesty. It's goofy, I'll give you that. But I'm missing the part where the outrage should be obvious.

Sly: You can buy the Nextel race ticket by itself. That's the reason there are 75,000 for the Busch race and 150,000 for the Nextel race the following day. One of those package deals just cuts down the cost a little. A decent Nextel ticket will run you somewhere around $90 -- that's face value. They'll sell you a Busch ticket with that for like $150.

2. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

Well, there are some tracks where you have to buy tickets for every other event the facility holds to get tickets for the Cup race. I know Kansas is that way and there are a few others as well.

But at a lot of tracks you can just buy for the Cup race - but some of the newer ones tried the "personal seat license" deal or something along those lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted