1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye-bye Busch Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bingo.

Once did a column on this, using Mark McGwire's old car that kept a running total of how many home runs he hit during the '98 season on the panel as an example. For instance, McGwire wasn't competing in the Cal League, so why should his car compete in the Busch Series against Big League Cup Drivers?

One more example of why NASCAR management is an oxymoron.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In defense of track owners, NASCAR and Brian DUI France -- oops, don't wanna get flamed again -- there are tickets to sell.

They would not get 100,000 people at a Friday night Busch race in Bristol if there was not a Cup driver in the field.

Part of the reason Cup drivers have been filling up Busch fields is that Busch-only programs have slid considerably. NASCAR was not filling 43-car fields, especially once they changed the compression ratio in 2001, and at the same time Cup teams saw tests cut back. It made sense to enter Cup guys at companion events.

I agree, it would be nice if there was a more defined position on what the Busch Series is, but it's not likely to change, especially now that ESPN needs those Cup drivers in the field to boost ratings. No casual fan knows who the heck Shane Huffman and Burney Lamar are, and ESPN didn't pay big bucks to put such on the air.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And we know how they must have 43 cars runing single-file on a 1/2-mile track to make exciting racing (not to mention the risk of a really great crash to get the yahoos excited!)

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hey, I'm not always a fan of what NA$CAR does, but from their point of view, it's legit that they'd want Cup guys running Busch Series races.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

So which company is gonna take the sponsorship deal?

Tampax Series
    AsSeenOnTV.com Series
    Preparation H Series
    At Least You're Not Jimmy Spencer Series

?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At this point, you have to wonder if this next sponsorship deal may be a prelude into splitting the top drivers among two series, then having some Championship Cup style races (Daytona, Indy, Charlotte, etc.).

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I for one don't see why having Cup drivers in the Busch Series or whatever it's going to be called makes people upset. Here is a sport in which the competitors actually enjoy competing. It's the only sport that has the spirit of Ernie Banks. Some drivers like to race more than others. They take every opportunity to get in a car and race. It's one of the reasons I question Jeff Gordon's motivation because he is one of the most vocal drivers about the season being too long. It's one of the reasons I admire Tony Stewart when he shows up on Thanksgiving night to race a USAC sprint car at Irwindale Speedway. Sure money is involved and drivers get paid to race. But bottom line is some drivers take every opportunity to race. Stewart in a USAC race is akin to seeing Barry Bonds in a sandlot game. I'd bet Bonds doesn't take time to play catch with his kids. If Stewart had kids, he'd probably set up the Daytona International Speedway of slot car tracks for them.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, this is only about the Busch Series. AB actually picks up enough profit on the sale of marked-up Bud NASCAR souvenirs to cover what it pays out in terms of Bud NASCAR sponsorship dollars.

Won't happen. Ever. How would you like to explain to fans that after paying their hard-earned money, they won't get to see Junior/Harvick/Stewart/Gordon/whoever? NASCAR officials and track owners don't want to explain that either.

Easy money, additional track time to gain knowledge for the main event and, for many, the opportunity to sample big-time team ownership to see if it's to their liking. (Happy Harvick's gonna have one helluva Cup operation someday. It worked for Earnhardt.)

A-B had 30 million reasons to say no.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's fine in theory, but what if its an owner-driver? You can't tell him he can't race his own car.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Allow full-time Nextel Cup drivers to make 10 starts for points and prize money. If they choose after that to enter, they can do it on their own dime and without being guaranteed a spot in the field.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Sounds like varsity players playing in JV turns.
    How many points in the chase for the cup to I get if I blow the H3 next to me off the line on my run to the store for milk?

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

I've never understood how you could sit in a car in two 300-plus mile races each weekend. Those guys who do both races should get mad props.

As far as the selling tickets argument, don't most tracks sell all their Busch tickets in a package with the Nextel race? I was under the impression you couldn't buy just the Nextel race.

Draft saved Draft deleted