1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye-bye Busch Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, I know there's a NASCAR thread but I thought this was interesting enough on its own...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/motorracing/sns-ap-car-nascar-busch-series-sponsor,0,7003625.story?coll=sns-motorracing-headlines

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Don't you have to get a sponsor for every NASCAR thread?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Reads like NASCAR wanted more money and free beer for Brian France and AB said to go to hell...
    You dont end a deal like that after 25 years without a reason

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

So will AB begin to question its Dale Earnhardt Jr. sponsorship?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hell, so many Winston Cup racers were in the Busch Series they should've called it the "Carlton Cup" all along.

(I know it's Nextel Cup now, but I couldn't think of anything weaker than Nextel off the cuff.)

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Which leads to my question:

If Busch Series is supposed to be a feeder to Nextel Cup, why do so many Nextel Cup drivers race in Busch races, thus denying younger drivers a chance?
    This always baffled me.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

S-P, it's basically a chance to simulate the race for the Cup drivers. And NASCAR isn't about to tell its biggest names to screw off when there are tickets to sell, sponsors to smooch, etc.

In other words, the Bullsh_t Brigade has no fortitude. What else is new?

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree. . . to a point. I've always thought they should limit the number of Busch Races a Nextel Cup driver can race. If you are a full-time Cup driver you should only be allowed to drive in 1/3 of the Busch races. That would allow drivers to pick and choose tracks they struggle at for extra practice, and open up more room for younger drivers to crack into the business.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

How about Nextel drivers can't drive Busch races at all.
    It's fucking stupid.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Which explains why NASCAR won't do anything about it.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'd go with that for full-timers

Fill ins and the occasional Bill Elliott and Mark Martin rides in any division should be allowed though!

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ntelos

Draft saved Draft deleted