1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By gosh, here's what is right with America: Guaranteed.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that if you give a lot of people an inch to be able to get even "busier" with running their children around, they'll take it. No one thinks they have enough time to parent. They will be as busy parenting as they have time to be.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Actually, if they would have been otherwise employed what real excuse do they have?

3. Dick Whitman

As soon as something is not technically required, people are going to opt for toting their kids around. Or whatever else they would rather do. Every time.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

One pays the other doesn't.

Every time? Must be nice to be able to speak for everybody

5. Dick Whitman

Please don't parse. I'm hyperbolizing to make a point. You know that.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Depends. Maybe they left Mickey D's and found a job somewhere else. Not necessarily lazy and not everyone is interested in community service work.

7. Dick Whitman

This is what I'm trying to get at. When many people have an opportunity to spend time with their family, for example, which many people think they do not get enough time to do, many people will jump at that opportunity. I think it would be just as easy to criticize them for volunteering at the expense of family time as it is to do the converse.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Yeah but the story isn't in what the workers were doing but the owners, who could have pocketed the money regardless of the tax advantage. Tell me one newspaper company that would pull this act of grace.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Right. They're automatically lazy if they didn't do it. Couldn't be that maybe some of them took more secure jobs which would last longer. Or 5,000 other reasons.

10. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

How many volunteered at a heart-care center or obesity clinic, working with 300-pound, super-sized 12-year-olds who whine until Mommy lets them vacuum Big Macs and Cokes down their gullets for the second time today.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who the hell would criticize them for making money for their families. They are not working, they need to work. If they didn't find another job in the meantime how the hell are they supporting their families?

Draft saved Draft deleted