1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By God, these people really don't get it.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

BMO, the parent company of the Bank of Montreal, just announced that it will axe 1,000 jobs, or three per cent of its total number of employees. This despite making a record profit of $2.7 billion in 2006, up 11 per cent over 2005. Naturally, these cuts will help the company "boost service." Naturally, financial analysts "remain concerned" over the company's "slow revenue growth." Get me a barf bag and a pamphlet advocating the benefits of anarchy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070131.wxrbmo01/BNStory/Business/home

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Let me say this slowly...

He's out of touch with what a vibrant work force should be, and if it is what he describes as minimum wage culture, then he's way out of touch with what it takes to make ends meet.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

These bastards just voted themselves a bonus. Bet on it.

If the terrorists get the free world, let them begin with shit like those people.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pourquoi détestez-vous le Québec?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What should a vibrant work force be then? And what should America do to help those who live in poverty?

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

A work force making ENOUGH money that they don't have to worry about not paying reasonable bills.

For what we spend in building bigger jails, curtaliing drug problems, excess pregnancies, and all the other social ills, we could trade off with a new approach to "living wage." But then, Washington and liberals wouldn't have a captive vote would they? And don't think I'm setting the GOP aside from excuse. All they're worried about is how the businessman is going to be pinched by an incremental hike in salaries - most of which are under what he's paying in the first place? Secretaties? $9 an hour here. Factory workers? About the same to start.
    And still, that's not enough to live on decently.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So how do you do it?

I don't see that you can in one fell swoop. If you think company owners are bitching now, just think what they'd say if minimum wage doubled overnight. These things have to be phased in to try and keep some momentum in the economy, otherwise you'll just see company owners claiming insufficient funds, laying people off, and increasing the burden on the state from unemployment benefit.

This is a start, but I don't think this is the end of people pushing for minimum wage increases.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd like to think that if our leaders weren't spending billions of dollars on futile military operations thousands of miles away from the North American continent, there'd be more pie to go around.

However, I'm cynical enough to realize that even if that money were being saved, we'd never see most of it anyway. It's not like it would instead be spent on education, health care, infrastructure or other critical needs.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Two words -- Montreal Canadiens. ;D

Seriously, though, the name "Bank of Montreal" is a misnomer. The company's headquarters are in Toronto and have been since 1977, shortly after the separatists first came to power in Quebec.

10. Yawn fell asleep and woke up as the spirit of Paul Wellstone.
    I'm confused.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not the Bank of Montreal: it's BMO.
    Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce: CIBC
    HBC: Hudson's Bay Company

No one calls companies by names anymore, just initials.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Like TBS?

(The Beer Store?)

Draft saved Draft deleted