1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By demand from another thread: Name a democrat hate-monger.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Damn, DanOregon, you beat me to it!

2. So, Zag, what exactly is grace all about?
    And why don't you try reading Romans or Galatians and tell me if they don't cramp YOUR brand of legalism?
    In fact, go back and re-read any of the gospels and tell me who you see Christ get mad at. It's the Pharisees, who keep adding law upon law to people and get in the way of his gospel of grace and love.
    But hey, if you want to try to continue to follow the law after it has already been fulfilled, go ahead. I'll count on the redeeming work of the blood of The Lamb to cover my sins.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Sexual sins, unfortunately for you, were not merely an Old Testament phenomen that was suddenly wiped out -- you know like sacrificing lambs -- when Christ went to the cross.

I think if you read Ephesians 5:1 through 21 -- it is very clear why God says narrow is the road to heaven -- because there ain't any clauses to excuse "alternative and/or convenient lifestyles that allow us to keep up with the culture of the day"

In fact if you read Revelations there are a whole lot of lukewarm and/or accommodating "Christians" and churches who are going to be mightily surprised by their final resting place once they get in front of St. Peter at the Pearly Gates......

4. And if you read much of Paul's writings, he is righteously angry at those who minimize grace.
    I've read the entire book. I think I have a pretty good understanding of what's in there.

5. And by the way, I'm a happily married, faithful man. I don't have any sexual impurities to worry about. This isn't about me. This is about grace versus law. I'll side with grace every time.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Here's an article titled "Are Christians Hypocrites?"

http://selwynduke.homestead.com/AreChristians.html

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

For all the people who accuse Christians of being narrow-minded, that quote is evidence that others are just as narrow-minded when it comes to Christianity and politics. That's a very misguided statement.

A. M. E. N.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Demo, Romans includes Paul saying that if the law was replaced by Christ, is the law no longer useful in that we may go on sinning? His response: "Of course not!" Response to the law is no longer grounded in legalism but out of love for what Christ did for us.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Exactly -- grace doesn't mean you can live by that old staple of those "liberal" churches which is "repentence is a process" which is basically the be-all end all rationalization for anyone and everyone to continue to do whatever the hell they please.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

That's correct, too. Good point.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

For some strange reason, the first response I made to this didn't show. So here goes, maybe not verbatim...

It's not Jesus talking, but you suggest reading Romans and I find there that Paul asks whether the law is bad - and that we should sin to receive grace? To be specific: Romans 6: "What, then, does this mean? Should we go on sinning because we are not under law but under grace? Of course not!" And he goes on to suggest that upholding it is an act of love and obedience to God rather than in the former dispensation, out of legalism.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

OK, cool. That's a viewpoint you're entitled to.

Now, if only the laws of the country weren't based on a bunch of rules for clean living laid down 2,000 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted