1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buzz Bissinger spent $500,000+ on clothes....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flip Wilson, Mar 24, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought he cried poor from time to time.

I did not expect this out of him.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At least Bissenger has something to show for his money. Bill Bennett lost all his in Vegas.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Holy shit, this. I mean.....wow. Just.....wow.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's the boots. ... No, it's the pants. ... No, it's ... GAHHHH!!!

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The reason for that is most people don't have unlimited wealth. If you're scanning the supermarket flyer and organizing your coupons to save $10 or $20 on your shopping trip, you're kind of hoping the people you elect have some idea what that struggle is all about. You get the feeling that the guy who spends $500 for a necktie may not quite understand.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What does a $500 necktie do or have that a $79 one doesn't have - and to me even that is outrageous. I have some very nice ties and I haven't spend more than 30 on one.

A Saks opened in Richmond some years back. I walked through it for fun. Socks for 25 bucks, shirts for 199. No thanks. On my way out, I saw this incredible tie. Magnificent tie. I decided I was going to take a close look and splurge. I'd go as high as 80 for that tie. What the hell, right?

The tie was $149. No way. It stayed there.

I don't begrudge people who have it for spending their money any way they wish. I just don't understand what makes a tie cost $500 and what about it makes it worth that.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Trust me, I don't, either. I suspect it's just a confidence thing?

I do understand expensive shirts, suits, and shoes, though. Fit on the first two. Craftsmanship on the latter.

My observation was that in a world in which people do waste a hell of a lot of money on a hell of a lot of things, this particular expense really seems to get people's ire. Hey, at least clothes are functional, right?

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Here's a slideshow of some of Buzz's outfits. This is very, very disturbing. And be warned: The second photo is of Buzz wearing what amounts to a Speedo...and nothing else. You've been warned.

And possibly NSFW.

And maybe NSFW either. (Can't be too careful.)

http://cbsloc.al/ZorXxm

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The material makes the dimple looks better.

Speaking of frivolous spending NY Giants DT Shaun Rogers got robbed of his Mr T starter set at his Miami Hotel:
    'According to CBS Miami, among the missing items were diamond earrings ($100,000), two watches ($160,000 total), a gold necklace and pendant ($50,000), gold bracelets ($60,000), and a diamond Cuban necklace and pendant ($70,000)."

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The second NSFW...Not Safe For World?

11. I just read the actual GQ story, and I have to respect the confessional aspect of it. You get a mixture of admiration for his don't-give-af attitude and pity for what might actually be a very real addiction.

As far as his clothing choices, good for him. If he enjoys it, if it makes him happy, then great. Fashion is subjective and who am I to judge? But his reckless spending points to an issue that, jokes aside, might really need to be addressed.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

His reckless spending isn't the only serious issue he seems to have.

Draft saved Draft deleted