1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buzz Bissinger: One angry man

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. NBrom

NBrom New Member

he told me that I wrote for an "endless blog"

I still don't know what that means

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I think it means that you're writing a novel. Or something like that. No need to worry, rookie.

John Feinstein writes an "endless" blog himself and I have yet to see Buzz take a shot at John.

3. JackS

JackS Member

I think it means that he can see the end for newspapers, magazines, television networks, etc., but not blogs.

Take it as a compliment.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I wonder if that includes the book biz as well. That's in his wheelhouse.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's Norman Chad's job.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Buzz's own account of his trip to Twitter and beyond ...

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/75671/why-buzz-bissinger-tweets

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i agree that his book is easily the finest sports book of the last 50 years.

that said, since his tiff with leitch i've always thought he fancied himself as a modern day charles bukowski, which is just wrong. how great would that be if bukowski was still alive and tweeting today.

8. let's not get carried away. Twas a good book, but here have been many great sports books over the past 50 years.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'm a younger guy and I loved watching him trash Leitch. Deadspin's pseudo-celeb tabloid-trash bullshit sports coverage should be the bane of every journalists existence.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Really . . . not to mention that BB's another guy (Exhibit A: George
    Won't) who got sucked into the LaRussa hero-worship horseshit.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It would have been fine if he trashed Leitch. But he wasn't able to, and Leitch sat back and watched, and Buzz looked like a frothing-at-the-mouth imbecile, not like a guy capable of trashing Leitch.

And that said, he still has a body of work that is impressive as anything, from the Pulitzer on down. It's not getting carried away to say that Friday Night Lights is one of the finest sports books ever written. I believe when Sports Illustrated did a list in the early 2000s, they put it in the top 5. I'd be inclined to agree that it is at least in the top 10.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a great book. I don't think it touches Season on the Brink or Ball Four. I liked Leahy's book on Jordan better. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Draft saved Draft deleted