1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buzz Bissinger on the sad tale of Kerry Wood and the mystery of pitching

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jun 2, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Where can I buy this? The first page read nicely, but I don't feel like clicking through six more pages online.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

On the right hand side, there is an option (under PRINT and EMAIL) called SINGLE PAGE. Click that and print it out. That's what I did. Otherwise, I believe "Play" is a monthly magazine that comes out with the Sunday edition of the Times. You might still be able to get a copy today.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Great story. Calls to mind Passan's piece of Mike Marshall and the art of pitching mechanics, which I consider a must-read for baseball beat writers and baseball fans. Whether Marshall's a kook or not, the mechanics exhibited by durable pitchers and his students have some clear similiarities. Yes, it's better to be Jered Weaver than a no-name, but I think biomechanics is reaching the point where it's becoming more and more apparent what motions almost always lead to injury and which only occasionally do.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good, good read.

This crystallized something for me about pitchers who blow out their arms. I saw one of the other "great" young arms of the past two decades -- Tampa Bay No. 1 draft pick Matt White -- in high school. And White never made it to the majors. He never recovered from his arm problems, retiring last summer.

White and Wood had something in common -- something that set them apart from the pack, and at the same time was their undoing in the end.

It wasn't the big fastball. It wasn't overwork. It was that damn slurve.

Both Wood and Matt White had that absolutely unfair "fast curve." I saw White throw it as a 16-year-old, break it from behind a hitter's ear to the low outside corner with an 83-mph clocking.

When Wood had his 20-K game, the amazing thing to see wasn't his heater, although it was definitely around 100 mph that day. No, it was that curve ball which not only dropped eyes-to-ankles, but was fast, too.

Both of these guys, I am positive, ripped their arms apart throwing that pitch.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nicely written, but that's pretty sun-rises-in-the-east stuff.

No one blows out the arm throwing No. 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted