1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buzz Bissinger on 9-11 overkill

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by esport12, Sep 12, 2011.

1. esport12

esport12 Member

I know Bissinger is a divisive figure on this board. But I thought his column was worth sharing.... I think he has a point, though I'm not sure I fully support it. Was wondering what people here think.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/columnists/129512513.html

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

He's got a point. On last night's SportsCenter (which I watched this morning), Berman tried making what seemed like off-the-cuff remarks on the significance of 9-11, and failed miserably. Mike and Mike were talking about it this morning, and it just seemed shallow and not well thought-out.

In a lesson on social media last week, I told my students that if they didn't know much about a subject, don't get into a Twitter argument about it. Some sports folks should have done that this weekend. Just stick to sports; it's what you know.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the comments Buzz gets on this or the letters that are sent in. The Daily News is sort of a hipper, more irreverent paper in the Philly area, so they might get away with getting something like this in there. Put it in the Inquirer and people might go ballistic.

As it is, they might anyway. 9/11 deserves remembrance. There won't be as much next year because this was the 10-year anniversary.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Things don't need to be remembered until they do.

It's hard to say when that point in time is reached.

I rolled my eyes a few times on Sunday.

For a 10-year old kid, it's probably good there's overkill already.

Most of us don't need to be pounded over the head with 9/11. But in 30, 40, 50, 60 years we will need to be reminded of the sacrifice and historic shift it brought to our country.

I look at 9/11 overkill accusations like the criticism of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. (Stay with me here.)

My dad always tells me the hall is a futile attempt to recapture the spirit of early Rock and Roll because it's nothing like he remembers it.

But what happens when my father's generation dies and no one alive remembers Little Richard and Buddy Holly and Fats Domino? It's not a catastrophic loss. It's just music. But there will be a void there that perhaps the HOF can fill a tiny bit to let people know what the movement meant to those who experienced it.

9/11 celebrations will seem heavy-handed and trite and overdone until they become the only thing that connects our population with the event. That might take 75 years. But there will be a moment remembrance is valuable.

Not knowing about 9/11 isn't going to cripple the development of an eighth grader in 2071, but it will be hard to understand the motives of our generation if they don't.

We made a lot of decisions that will be debated for decades because of that day. I'd argue many will end up being fatal to our empire. And there was heroism that should be written in America's elegy hundreds of years from now. But I do want people to one day realize what went into those decisions and what fear and heroism can equally do to and for a country.

I hope when sober, removed judgment is given by historians in the future, they'll also take our raw emotions into consideration when weighing the verdict. Remembrance may well help preserve that.

People who find history useless probably disagree with me completely.

And Buzz Bissinger, he'd be pissed the shit out by this.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

For the first time in my memory of such things, I got a bit uncomfortable as some of the "remembrances" went on and on over the weekend. Maybe I'm just getting old, but there were places where it simply seemed to much. My place did two stories Friday and moved on, and I was happy with that.

6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

The first paper I worked at, the front desk secretaries would forward general calls from the public to whatever reporter they saw sitting in the newsroom. Two years in a row, on Dec. 7, I randomly fielded a call from the same man who had called to complain the paper had not done enough to commemorate the anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

That was in the mid-90s. I didn't get it then, but I do now. This past weekend was too much by far and I avoided media as much as I could because of it, but at the same time I would be disturbed if on, say, September 11, 2038, no one was doing anything to acknowledge the anniversary.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since we are on our way to not having any workers, we should dump Labor Day and have a 9/11 holiday.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Buzz wrote an entire book about the genius of Tony LaRussa and he's lecturing about overkill?

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Well played.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The only overkill is stories on people who actually didn't have any connection to 9/11. The survivor stories are powerful, the shift it had in our country and the subsequent trillions spent on military and homeland security are valuable stories.

What the overkill is, is that entire towns were having memorials when in fact no one from their town died. It's become a sort of thank you day for firefighters and police officers in every town in America.

It's also narcissism, people don't want to talk about the effect of 9/11 on the country, it's how 9/11 affected them. It's also getting shoved down our throats. Why is 10 years significant? Is 11, any less so? How about 9?

I think this will be the last one like this. It's going to fade into memory kind of like OK City and Pearl Harbor. Sure, there will be a day and there will be stories, but time moves on.

There is an important political and historical discussion about what 9/11 did to our society. That wasn't the focal point. It was more "where were you on 9/11 and how is your life different?"

It was unbearable. I actually thought politicians controlled themselves. Bush and Obama were dignified. The media? They have been trying to sell this for months.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Exceedingly well played.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is going to sound odd: but when I saw that Budweiser commercial with the Clydesdales, it was a total turnoff for me. It cheapened the memory of the attack, and at that moment, I'd had enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted