1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts/layoffs at Asbury Park Press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by digger, May 31, 2008.

1. digger

digger New Member

Anybody know anything about this? I heard Joe Adelizzi was among the buyouts. But that they also didn't get enough volunteers and there would be layoffs also. Anyone?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

With all due respect to the great people who have made that paper over the years -- they should have put the final nails in the coffin of it the day Gannett walked in and destroyed what was once a great paper bought it....

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is this not part of the Gannett purge at 4 of its 6 Jersey rags?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Had a friend tell me he knew of an opening there that he'd put my name in for if I was interested. I asked around, heard basically it used to be a good paper but had become a poisonous place to be.

Thankfully I never inquired further.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Skip Hidlay is a scumbag.

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

staggering how far downhill this once-mighty paper has gone

the REM of newspapers

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

It's the end of the world as they know it.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And I feel fine.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Gannett's whole New Jersey group has gone right down the shitter.

I'm hearing through back channels that at least one individual paper in NJ lost money in December and that the group as a whole didn't come close to goal the last two quarters. The goal has always been set arbitrarily high, but most papers and groups usually come close enough to making the "real" number.

The projected job reduction total for the group was around 165, and they only reached about half that total through buyouts. The rest will be through the layoffs that started last week.

There's more insight on Jim Hopkins' Gannett blog (http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/), though some of the numbers being reported there by various individuals might be a bit off.

10. Two things - this was a very good paper before the evil empire moved in, some great writers and unbelievable features almost on a daily basis (with sports in particular having a few very good editors - Joe Sullivan of the Boston Globe ran it for a while). And second, R.E.M.'s latest release is tremendous. Just saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted