1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts in Roanoke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 6, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

I haven't talked to Randy in a while but from those I've talked to say it's not a pleasant scene. Moddy and a few others with Western Virginia pipelines, may be able to shed more light on this delicate matter.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Greensboro and now Roanoke ... can Norfolk be far behind?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Norfolk do this already? I know one of their sports guys is leaving in December, or so I'm told, because of a buyout deal.

4. boots

boots New Member

Nothing official in Norfolk but like the heat wave, it's coming. Many have felt the tremor in the force.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Confirmed. They did offer buyouts in Norfolk. Twenty or so took them, including two in sports.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Five years ago it was $85,000.

Not sure what it is today.

7. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Anybody with good details care to provide us with the heavyweight bout of a few years ago in Darlington?

Hinton, Ed vs. King, "Knappy" Randy

8. boots

boots New Member

Hinton in one is what I heard.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wow, the situation in Roanoke must have REALLY taken a downturn in the last month!

Hey Debs, guess what YOU'RE made of?

[​IMG]

10. boots

boots New Member

Can't blame her for all that is going on there. Lots of coporate pressure to produce and keep profits high.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Boots: All that is fine, but don't talk about all this diligent work you're doing towards avoiding layoffs and then a month later announce involuntary seperations are likely in the fall. I understand you have to do what you have to do, but there also has to be a better way to describe the situation to your worker bees.

12. boots

boots New Member

From what I've been able to gather she was more or less towing the corporate line. Did she lie, not really. But she also wasn't too upfront with info. Remember, she's got to eat too.
    It's a bad scene all the way around.

Draft saved Draft deleted