1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts in Newport News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 12, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wow, Frank. That's interesting.
    YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS:
    That was the exact analogy I was thinking of. ;)

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If Sandy were still here, this would be proof that we are the same person. [/sj_oldtimer]

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Does the Virginian-Pilot staff Skins home and away? That's probably your biggest question right there. I was just through there on my spring baseball trip and most convenience stores just carry the VP and the Daily Press (no Washington Post or Richmond paper)...

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm pretty sure the Pilot and the Times-Dispatch staff the whole slate.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sad, because it's true.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It doesn't, which is why they're not clamoring to take the buyouts there.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

They can receive a maximum of 52 weeks of pay.
    The can actually means they won't. This stinks.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

One week for every six months of service, up to 52 weeks, meaning if you worked there 26 years you get 52 weeks and if you worked there 40 years you get 52 weeks. And if you worked there 10 years you get 20 weeks. This is standard. They used the exact same formula at a place I worked when they cut staff in the early 1990s. It's not great, but it is standard.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Don't believe it. Digby Solomon has been a lackey for Tribune suits since he scabbed during the NY Daily News strike in the early Nineties.

10. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

Is the Daily Press pulling a Circuit City? From Journalismjobs.com:

Calling all page designers

The Daily Press is reinventing the way it operates and the way the newsroom is structured. We need innovative news designers to help us make the transition. We are looking for designers who are passionate about presenting the news in ways that go beyond the standard headline-photo-story package. Designers who look for bold and surprising ways to catch readers' attention and tell a story in ways other that the traditional narrative form.

If you want to help us reinvent our newspaper and become part of a team of visual journalist what to bring energy and innovation to the Daily Press, then send us your resume and PDFs of the five best examples of your work to: Ursula E. Nofal, Recruiting Coordinator, Daily Press – Newsroom, 7505 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, VA 23607.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So I'll read the Daily Press for ideas but then purchase them at Best Buy?

12. Ensign Pulver

Ensign Pulver Member

Good thinking. Headlines, photos, stories -- what a brutal way to deliver the news.

Draft saved Draft deleted