1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts claim a huge name: Jackie MacMullan out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

OK, enough about me. I gotta go anyway. My spouse finally has dinner on the table. Stuff I hunted and gathered. :-* :-* :-*

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Take THAT, sc. ;)

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Shoe habit? What the $#&%@$ for?!?

In our caves barefoot and pregnant is the proper style.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Mrs. Lono told me she found footwear she fancies from someone named Christian Louboutin (sp?).

Apparently, SC, you aren't the only one with a shoe habit.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'v got no problem with Joe - he's the kind of guy I like working with or alongside.

As long as he's not in a hiring position where he's "caring and concerning" women out of jobs...

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Weird digression on a thread about Jackie Mac, who sure doesn't need protecting (and I don't think she cares a whole lot about expensive shoes).

Bottom line is that she takes with her decades of experience and respect and class, and you just can't replace that. Same for Sam and the others who have taken the buyouts. Those papers are saving money, but paying a very high price.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't agree more, 21. Her expertise is not replaceable, and papers are increasingly showing they don't want to replace that. They see 20-, 30-year employees as old and highly paid. Readers see them as the voice and conscience of a community. Take away enough of those voices and you end up putting out a McPaper that no one is excited to read or call their own.

But that's what the suits want; they think instead of columnists, we can have "community conversations" amongst ourselves and that those opinions matter. Well, I don't give a flying fuck about what a guy named BigPapi007 says on a comments board. I want to hear the take of someone who has gone to Fenway for two decades.

8. Alan Greenwood

Alan Greenwood New Member

My apologies for repeating others, but reading the couple of slams on Jackie at the beginning of this thread compelled me to reply:
    Jackie MacMullan has been one of the most talented writers at the Globe for years (as in all writers, not just those in sports). She has done several enterprise stories that are among the best I've read, in the Globe or elsewhere.
    The Globe will miss her, probably more than she will miss the Globe, though I'm sure she will miss it.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I dunno ... that sounded a lot like Lee Greenwood. Talking about America, no less.

10. Alan Greenwood

Alan Greenwood New Member

With me being an unapologetic liberal, I don't think Lee Greenwood would appreciate the comparison.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a reader, I'll miss Jackie a great deal. I'm sure she'll still be part of my overall sports journalism consumption in some form, however.
    The Globe is declining in quality at a warp speed that is astonishing. Maybe he would have blown it, but if my former employer Pat Purcell had only had more capital, he could've given the clueless Ivy League twits running the Globe show a real fight.
    Arthur "Pinch" Sulzberger. His obit will read "First man to run two great American newspapers into the ground simultaneously.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

purcell - the guy who hired ken chandler to save the herald. brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted