1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts claim a huge name: Jackie MacMullan out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's clinical for us, too, believe me.

I've often thought it probably takes an enlightened, secure woman to marry an OB/GYN.

Same goes for our men.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks, 21 and shotglass. Generally, that's more what I have in mind.

I am not worried that my spouse might see and run off with some attractive person from her work environment. That could happen any job, any place, regardless of ratio of men to women.

It's all the other stuff, from the male-heavy environment that leads to cussing and gross behavior (believe me, I've been in media work rooms for decades) to the "need" situation that we scribes are in vis a vis sources, cultivating relationships with people who aren't always the most enlightened, professional, etc. It's lugging week's worth of luggage through airports, walking through parking ramps after midnight and still -- STILL -- having her gender be an issue with a few or many because she's in the minority. All in a pretty silly pursuit. Doing what many men but hardly any women consider a "dream job."

I just prefer that, in our family, I'm the one stuck in airports, "treated" to fellow writers' loud and unleashed farts on deadline and told "F--- off, I'm not talking today" by morons. Some of you say that's sexist of me, I think it's chivalrous. ;D

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I would never be with a man who felt he needed to "protect" me from airport luggage and four-letter words. Fuck, I could never talk to myself again.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

According to TBL, Murray Chass is about to join the list of big-name buyouts...

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It has been well documented on this board that several women's sports, including the WNBA and the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team, have times for open locker rooms. You'd be surprised at how many there are.

And Luggy, excellent point about a woman married to an OB/GYN. There was a recent first-person essay in Newsweek about a male ballet dancer, and I found myself thinking he faces similar insecurities among women.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He didn't say any of us need protection. He's saying he knows it's not the easiest gig sometimes, and it might be hard for him to know his wife might be having a rough time. I don't see sexism there, I see caring and concern.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, but he specifically compared this profession to the medical profession, and apparently he's not as OK with his wife "having a rough time" as a journalist as he would be if she was "having a rough time" in the hospital.

I see caring and concern. I also see a little insecurity.

It's nothing personal. I like Joe. ... But I do have a problem with that type of attitude. That's my preference.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The solution, of course, except for the inbreeding dangers, is that we all just marry each other, strictly within the business.

PM me if interested.

:)

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You don't have to be a sports journalist to deal with all that crap. My wife has to contend with all of that, including the airports.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So you're in West Virginia?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can anybody?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

SC: I can't afford almost any of my lifestyle until my kids clear college in December 2010. That's what 17 credit cards/lines are for.

Draft saved Draft deleted