1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts claim a huge name: Jackie MacMullan out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

Agreed 21. I think you could say the same about minorities. It's like an idea that's been replaced because its so tedious to implement, without tangible bottom-line results. Why bother? So the Jackies will leave and the young people they've inspired to enter the business will find the landscape very different.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't remind me. :-\

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I didn't say people bought the Globe specifically to read Jackie. What I'm saying is that Jackie is tremendously well plugged in to the Boston sports scene. Tremendously well-plugged in. Readers will feel her absence even if they don't think of her by name. The Globe can't easily or quickly replace someone with her contacts and relationships, but she can get another nice paycheck in a heartbeat.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

21 and Mediator both hit on solid points. What direction will the women's movement in this field go in?

Here's another sobering one to chew on - with all of these cost-cutting/money-saving measures, will the columnist or the features writer eventually become a dinosaur? With buyouts and those positions not being replaced for the sake of the bottom line, what will be deemed necessary in the newspaper?

5. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

This is a pretty small sample size. And Roberts and MacMullan were able to get parley their successes into new gigs with fewer hours and more money.

Female columnists should be in ever greater demand. Newspapers with all-male lineups look pretty old-fashioned these days, especially if they are all white male.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I have never sensed that the readership did, ever. Hiring newspaper reporters according to demographics first, skills second, was a losing game from the start. Bemoaning the loss of several women sports columnists because they're women is a non-starter with readers. Those three all are talented people but the hand-wringing their departures inspire has been because of their gender. That is a bore.

As for newspapers with all-male lineups looking pretty old-fashioned these days, MMatt60, I'd say you're right, with one small tweak:

Newspapers with all-male lineups look pretty old-fashioned these days...

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The features writer has one foot in the grave already, between papers condensing or eliminating features sections and myopic beancounters probably looking at high-paid, low-byline-count writers and saying "why?"

I think the columnist is safe though, but it's a shame to see a lot of big papers with only one columnist and a place like the Globe now having two.

8. bob

bob Member

The buyout didn't "claim" Jackie. She jumped at the chance so she could spend more time with her kids. True, it will impact the Globe, which probably won't fill the position. Make no mistake, it is a big loss. Jackie has great sources. Just last week she got a sit-down with Shaq, when the Suns beat writer can't even do that. She's broken many stories because star athletes and others know and trust her, for whatever reason. Not a great writer, but a great loss.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Re: women and minorities.

Certainly, you could look at newspapers and say, "Where the hell have they gone?"

The answer is TV. Television is miles ahead of print when it comes to opportunities for them. And even though I'm a white male, I say that's a good thing. The reason Jackie MacMullan is being rumoured to go to ESPN -- at least on this thread -- is that ESPN is pro-active in creating opportunities for strong reporters, regardless of gender or skin-color or whatever. ESPN takes a beating for many things, but deserves credit for that.

If I was a young female or minority, I'm not sure I would even look at print. The opportunities in broadcast are so much greater. It's hard for me to say, because all I ever wanted to be was a sportswriter.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow - I have always thought highly of Jackie's work. That is a huge loss for The Globe and for Boston Globe readers. She really shines in basketball. With the Celtics rebirth it is too bad Jackie won't be convering for the Globe.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Re: Elliotte's post--

Not just television. Internet. TheMag. Variety and flexibility and, as someone said above, less time away from the family. Not just for women, but for a whole lot of guys too.

Agree with whomever said the buyout didn't 'claim' a victim here.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To my paper.

Female Managing editor
    Female Lifestyle editor
    Female Business editor
    Female Sports editor
    Female assistant sports editor

Draft saved Draft deleted