1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts claim a huge name: Jackie MacMullan out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Apr 1, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Jeebus. ESPN?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yikes. Romenesko has a couple great links today, one about a guy deciding to stop subscribing to the Boulder paper, and another one about the perception=reality of the fading industry.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It probably helps that Skwar is already at ESPN...

Obviously, this is big news. But Jackie Mac will be at ESPN making six figures within the week... The people these buyouts/layoffs really impact are the ones who don't have another job waiting for them when they leave.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Exactly. The Globe needs Jackie more than Jackie needs the Globe.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

you think people buy the globe to read jackie macmullen - please

she's a lovely person - very earnest and nice - and speaks well on tv and radio - and knows basketbal - and she's good at getting people to open up

but way over-rated as a writer - no sense of humor - no wit - no edge - rarely a strong opinion - predictable structure - very nearly plodding

she's not a columnist - espn ought to let her do features

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well that was predictable.

come back to the adult table, sparky, when you have something to offer beyond your usual jealousy of writers and your giddiness over another nail in their coffin.

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

This is a loss, but to go big picture it's even worse.

Jackie, Lisa Olson, Selena Roberts... All of the women who have worked so hard to get those column-writing jobs are gone, and they are not being replaced. This is an unfortunate trend now.

I am sure that they will all continue to be productive, and you can certainly argue that they may have greater influence in their next incarnation, but as a writer who came up through print and still loves the feel of a newspaper page between my two fingers, it's hard not to be sad to see the role models getting out of the business.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My guess is Jackie will not be replaced. The Globe's mastermind (but he WINS AWARDS!) editor in chief Martin Baron doesn't care for sports, or in fact, columnists of any kind.
    It's working great for them so far. Fastest sinking big-city daily in the USA.

10. lono

lono Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not a big college town.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same today looking at the APSE winners.

I tend to think a lot of these papers no longer feel the social pressure to hire a woman columnist at this point. It's not new or novel. It's been done. The readership doesn't particularly care or demand it. You could convince me I'm wrong, but I think I'm unfortunately right.

Jackie will be great anywhere she goes, big loss for the stupid paper that let her go.

Draft saved Draft deleted