1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts and layoffs in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Couldn't get a hold of Lou. But I'll tell you something, if some NFL team doesn't give Marc Trestman a shot at a head coaching job this year, then this league is really screwed up.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Sure, you can be Today's Sports Hero, MH.

And if you're going to Vescio's, you better save a seat for me! :D

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Sid Hartman aside, a lot of heartless managers would love your Logan's Run theory of employment.

Each case is different, but just because someone is old and theoretically can be replaced by three others who make a lower salary and can theoretically be more productive doesn't make it an intelligent move.

Dislike him or hate him or his arcane style, Hartman brings readers to the Strib. 'Nuff said.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Does he bring more than he drives away, though, that's the question. ;D

I'll agree this far: If the Star Tribune canned or otherwise forced out Sid, it would take a severe beating from its readership base. If Sid simply retired, it wouldn't lose more than a blip's worth of circulation.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And at least three of them were readable.

And Joe, that's very true about Sid's inevitable departure

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Here is what I don't buy regarding the argument that editors are superfluous: A good editor can improve the productivity of five reporters. Now, maybe I'm talking about assigning editors more than copy editors, but the former are going by the boards, too.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Oh, most papers seem to have a fatter teacher-to-pupil ratio (department bosses-to-reporters) than ever. Ranks haven't been thinned nearly as much or as fast among those who -- as Fredrick would say -- attend the 10 a.m. meetings together. I assume Minneapolis is the same, keeping supervisors while shedding worker bees.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

My shop has more folks with editor in their title than reporter.

Please tell me most places are like that.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You need copy editors who aren't afraid to question reporters on facts.

10. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

I'm not sure Sid is quite so popular these days. I imagine there are a lot of older folks who would get upset if Sid was canned, but I also know a lot of people who don't care for him and basically roll their eyes at him now. He makes appearances on WCCO radio every morning for sports, and the guy is almost painful to listen to. He can barely put together a coherent sentence anymore on anything.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

One of the best prep reporters around, John Millea, just took a buyout from the Strib. His last day is March 8, meaning they won't have him for all the state tournaments. He's going to work for the Minnesota State High School League and says he'll be doing a lot of what he was doing for the Tribune.

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2010/03/03/16382/star_tribunes_roadguy_preps_reporter_millea_and_home_sections_yeager_take_buyouts

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's always good to hear about someone leaving when they have something else lined up.

Draft saved Draft deleted