1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts and layoffs in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know plenty of reporters who don't want to do the legwork of reporting as well.

2. apseloser

apseloser Member

Maybe they're trying to improve morale by cutting copy editors, since nearly every one I've ever met or worked with at 5 papers — big and small — has been a woe-is-me whiner who thinks they're unheralded and has to boast every time they fix an error in a writer's story that was filed 2 minutes after the buzzer.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I hope you just forgot to activate the blue font

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

How?

I subscribe to the theory that you're only as good as your last story/column, etc. If you start phoning it in, you should retire.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm sure he didn't.

And of course, reporters are the only ones who have to cope with deadline pressure. Of course, copy editors don't get to do it from a front-row seat, while getting paid to watch a game, with free food, and lackeys to run around collecting stats and quotes for them.

See? I can play the stereotyping game too! :D

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

If you think Sid is phoning it in you obviously don't know the MSP market.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The lackeys are the only reason I'm still in the business.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

There are far more productive journalists and reporters among the five-figure thousands laid off, bought our or forced out in the last year than him. Fuck him. The people taking care of kids, repaying student loans, caring for elder parents, etc., damn sure need work more than someone who is hanging on far too long.

9. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

I began my career at the Star Tribune as a copy editor, and I hope all of my former co-workers get through this as unscathed as possible. It's just as disappointing to read comments such as those from apseloser. As a copy editor, I feel you're painting all of us with a real wide brush, and that's unfair.

10. Machine Head

Blame Sid for layoffs?

Reach some more.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Did I say I was blaming him for layoffs? Hell no.

No one 'earns the right' to stay as long as they want anymore. If he's hanging on and taking up space or money that could be better utilized by a more productive journalist (who isn't an ass-kissing name-dropper), send him along the way with his retirement cake and be done with it.

12. Machine Head

If you knew the MSP market you'd know Sid works. He does not coast.

(Geez, I'm defending Sid's right to work)

Edit: You did seem to feel he was to blame based on this:

There are far more productive journalists and reporters among the five-figure thousands laid off, bought our or forced out in the last year than him. Fuck him. The people taking care of kids, repaying student loans, caring for elder parents, etc., damn sure need work more than someone who is hanging on far too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted