1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyouts and layoffs in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No reporters on the block, but copy editors, photo editors and photographers should apparently be very nervous. Slightly more than a 10-percent cut in the newsroom.

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2010/01/06/14735/star_tribune_layoffs_spare_reporters_target_copy_editors_photographers

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

This just amazes me. Why does management subscribe to the theory that they can just make writers write perfect stories to avoid the use of copy editors?
    Fuckin pricks.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Of all the newspapers wrongheadedly laying off copy editors, the one that has Sid Hartman submitting copy should be the absolute last.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that something in the training process makes them stupid.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Because reporters will now have to do mandatory spell check on their stories so that will solve everything.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've been part of the inside operation for close to 20 years. And -- unfortunately -- have had to make this choice a few times.
    When it comes down to it, the choice is an easy one.
    You need the boots on the ground and original content. It all sucks. But, this is one less suck.
    (Pretty awful to type that and I did so putting aside personal feelings.)

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is probably more a matter of logical elimination than it is thinking the paper really doesn't need copy editors.

The fact is, by the time people get into management, they no longer want to do all the legwork of reporting. That's very often even a large part of why people move to the desk eventually, or want to do so.

Most managers would rather do copy-editing, where they can sit in one place, work regular hours, etc., than they would work on a reporter's responsibilities, or schedule. So, if they have to make cuts, they figure they can pitch in on the desk, and that's what they'd rather do.

And, since they're not going to cut themselves, and since they're looking to save as much money as possible and cutting copy editors over reporters usually makes sense in that way, too, well...the copy editors end up getting the short end of the stick.

It's all part of what I call the "trickle-up" effect, and it happens often.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

This. Why a shriveled-up hack like Hartman still has a job is one of the seven wonders of our illustrious business.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Sid is Sid.

Say what you want, but he's earned the right to work as long as he wants.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In this business it's better to be a content provider than not be a content provider.

Bottom line is you could publish if you had writers and no copy editors. You couldn't if you had copy editors and no writers.

Plus, a copy editor could be sitting in Indiana India correcting your noun-verb disagreement.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sid's a Minneapolis legend. He dictates when he retires. Not trying to be difficult, but it is what it is. (Sorry.)

Newshole isn't changing, according to the executive editor, so no space cuts at least. Hey, it sucks, but it could have been a LOT worse.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yep. All copy editors are just reporters who didn't feel like working hard anymore.

I hope that as a reporter you never wonder why it seems like the desk doesn't like you.

Draft saved Draft deleted