1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buyout/layoffs.............what to do next?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Jul 5, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I'm one of the many reporters working at a newspaper that has plans for buyouts and layoffs over the next couple of months. For some reason, I'm left feeling like I'm on the bubble if the number of buyouts aren't reached.
    And I'm not in a position to accept a buyout and do something else right now.
    So, is it bad form to apply for new gigs right now out of fear? Because I'm just not sure how I feel about rolling the dice on my future and leaving it up to a bunch of suits.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Bad form? You do whatever you have to do to stay employed.
    There are no standard operating procedures.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You have the right to look for another job anytime you want, just like the company has a right to try to buy you out/lay you off, or anything else, whenever it wants.

It shouldn't be an insult or an affront to the current job or company. In fact, nothing should change at all, up to and until you tell your bosses that you're actually taking another job.

It doesn't always go like that, I know, and most of us are such ethically stand-up people that we usually feel compelled to tell our current employers when we're doing something like this.

But really, why should it matter, as long as you're professional and not venomous or back-stabbing in your job interviews, and as long as your work gets done and your performance doesn't suffer?

The more I've thought about this each time it has come up on a thread, the more I think it shouldn't make any difference.

4. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

Are you referring to a lateral move or what many would consider a downward move, i.e. major beat to preps? If so, address the situation in your cover letter. No, don't make it sound like you're fleeing the Titanic, but also sell the experience you'd bring compared to most of your competition for the gig.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I started applying at places the day after we had our initial "there are going to be significant layoffs" meeting last month.

Even had one interview already.

None in the newspaper business. Do people who get laid off really apply at other newspapers, given the state of this business?

Of course, my situation was a little more urgent than most people's. And not because of finances.

Newspaper ax should be coming down on about 60 by next week.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, BTE, I wish you the best of luck.

There's no need to feel bad about applying for other jobs. Your newspaper doesn't love you back, it's not loyal to you and it will break your heart if it means the newspaper can save a few pennies.

Draft saved Draft deleted