1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying my first car - need some advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

With new you generally get peace of mind, you don't have someone else's mistake and all of the warranties etc are still completely there. So it comes down to how much you want to pay for peace of mind.

If you buy used do two things. Run the VIN number and get an accident/maintanence report on the car. Second, particularly if you are buying a car that is a couple of years old, see if the dealership will allow you to get an independent inspection. If they balk, walk. Up here that generally isn't a problem and in the long run $35-$50 for an inspection will more than pay for itself, especially if it weeds out a few lemons.

As far as bargaining tips I am the wrong person to talk to. When I bought new this past summer, I went in armed with all sorts of tips and advice and folde like a cheap deck chair. I have no bargaining spine. I think I managed to argue $500 off the sticker price and have faced ridicule from my friends ever since.

Lease buybacks are generally a very good option if you go used because of the maintanence standards on them and the low milage, but DO NOT get a lease yourself.

Also don't completely rule out something like a new Chevy, everything I have read of late says they are closing the gap with the imports. read into that what you want.

2. jello042

jello042 New Member

Buy American! Dont buy a Japanese car unless your a liberal democrat.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't over spend. Buy to suit your needs, not your ego.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Fixed. ::)

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's you're, pinko.

if YOU ARE going to insult people on a journalism board, at least try to get the insult correct.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Already beat you to it Petty.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but i tossed in an insult.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That was in insult? Jeez. You're gettin' soft.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm getting old, bags. hell, even ripken took a day off every now and again toward the end.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Go to University Dodge in SoCal. They're offering a 2-for-1 deal on Ram pickups, which are also 60 percent off retail.

No, really. It's true. I swear. And the Ram is one of the few things Chrysler gets right, other than the whole "eats gasoline" thing.

[​IMG]
    (Right-click the image, select "View Image" or similar command. It's the blue "Buy 1 ... Get 2!" banner.)

To quote the guys at Jalopnik, where I found this item, the auto industry is officially totally fucked.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. rascalface

rascalface Member

I got rid of my 2000 Grand Am about four months ago. It had about 120K miles on it, but was on its last legs. Compare that to a Honda of that era, and it's just getting broken in. I loved that Grand Am, even for all of it's quirks ... the A/C working on 3,4,5 (but never 1 and 2), the tendency for the engine to shut down when you shut off said A/C, the driver's side door lock giving out, the front passenger seat that was forever jammed in the "sit up straight with your nose about four inches from the glove box" position. I even forgave that car for nearly stranding me, and at the very least freaking me the hell out, in Weimar, Texas. Ah, memories.

I traded it in and bought an '08 Honda Fit. The Fit is a glorious car and very affordable. I haven't reached 30 mpg around town, but I've been fairly close. The car looks tiny on the outside (well, because it is) but inside it's actually quite roomy. With the "Magic Seats" you have room to haul just about anything. Plus it's a fun car to drive (the sport model even comes with paddle shifters).

Consider it as an alternative to the Civic. The Fit is sold throughout the rest of the world as the Honda Jazz, and it's only been in America for about three years. So it would be difficult to find a used one, and the price would probably be pretty close to that of a new one off the dealer lot.

And no, I don't work for Honda. I'm just a very satisfied customer. I researched a LOT of cars when I made my purchase. This is where I landed. Your mileage may vary.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When Car and Driver puts a vehicle like the Fit in its 10Best, that's saying plenty. It beat out vehicles costing two and three times as much. No more defense necessary.

Draft saved Draft deleted