1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying my first car - need some advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Nov 19, 2008.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

edmunds.com. That is all.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got my handy-dandy car buying tips on another computer, so when I get there, I'll PM them to you. The short version is, you can't go wrong with Honda or Toyota. Nissan is right up there. I've heard good things about Subes, but can't speak from experience.

I'd stay away from leasing--it's like the most expensive way to have a car when all's said and done.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'll echo on the Honda Civic recommendations. I currently drive a 2002 Honda Civic and I've had no trouble with it and I get excellent gas milage. On a normal week of driving to and from work with a few trips in between to a friend's house or the local watering hole, I can go a week and a half from a full tank to an empty tank. With today's gas prices, a Civic is a great choice to make.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, 217,000 miles on my Civic.

5. I bought a 2008 Nissan Sentra a few months ago, and I love it. Gas mileage is great and it's a nice car. Sentras have come a long way in their look. You can't go wrong with a Civic.

If you can get a good deal, buy new, especially if you're going to keep the car for a long time.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

www.edmunds.com
    www.caranddriver.com

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But you'd be a fool to do it.

8. Alright now, dools. Don't make me run your ass over. Saturns are complete crap.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And people wonder why the Big Three is in such dire straits.

It's not lack of money. It's lack of engineering, cutting too many corners and taking their sweet time innovating anything. It's why the Japanese passed them so fast it caused windburn.

Bailout? No way. That's rewarding bad behavior.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Every car I've ever bought has been a late model 'Murrican car. Some have been pieces of dung (Dodge Intrepid), others have been quite good (the Taurus I have now). Certainly not going to argue the Honda sentiment here, but often those can command pretty stout prices in the used market -- at least in a good economy, I can't vouch for this year as I haven't car shopped. But I've gotten fabulous deals on my cars, which at the time didn't seem to be in any great demand.

11. joe

joe Active Member

With the all-wheel drive (and corresponding extra weight) Subarus don't get the gas mileage you're looking for. And I was buying cars before you were born -- A LOT.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Never gets old.

Draft saved Draft deleted