1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying Contact Lenses Online

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kokane_muthashed, Mar 28, 2007.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Anyone in SJ-land have experience with this? I'm almost out and looking for a good site that offers a good price. Granted, I still haven't called my eye doctor to get a price quote, but wanted to know if it is cheaper for some of you to buy online.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My fiancee recently starting wearing contacts -- and had it not been for the shitty service at lenscrafters, she's probably still be buying them there. As it is, she's just starting to look into online options.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I've used justlenses.com in the past, but my new, fucked-up prescription requires me to go through my optometrist.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

i've used visiondirect and they were just fine.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I tried to order online one time, but i had to have had an exam in the past year. If I'm goign to pay for an exam, I'll just get the lenses through my doc.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

quick note: my insurance actually pays for up to $100 for contacts (plus an exam) a year. So you might want to check that out first. Otherwise, it has been my experience that it is much cheaper to get lenses online than through your doc.

(Also note you can often find coupon codes for purchases online - 10% off, free shipping, etc. I know visiondirect has sent me coupons in the mail to keep me coming back).

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I have ordered through 1800contacts.com for the past three years. I LOVE it. They arrive in less than a week, they're well packaged and it was cheaper than going through the eye doc.

Now - after my eye exam 6 months ago, my eye sight is way worse (thanks mom and dad!) and I have to get the toric lenses. In crosschecking prices with 1800contacts.com and my doc's office, the price difference is like $5 so I've purchased them at the office.

Stamp of approval for 1800contacts.com, though.

PS - Toric lenses --> damn $55 a BOX!!!!!! Ouch!

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. I'm also paying out the ass for toric lenses.

9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Try $140 for one freaking contact. Not a pair, just one. Wife has a horrible problem with her right eye. Could be why she married my ugly ass.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Toric lenses blow. I have them (astigmatism). They're so much thicker, I think.

Plus, unless it's changed, I couldn't get colored lenses, just the clear ones. Sometimes, I think I'd want some brighter blue eyes, or maybe a little green.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

A few years back when I went in for an exam, the dr. wanted me to try toric lenses. I had been wearing contacts for 20 years at that point and I hated them. I might 'need' them, but I wear the regular ones.
    Never bought online, and now that our insurance has added eye coverage, I'll probably continue to buy my lenses through the office.
    I'm just dreading the day soon where they tell me I need bifocals. :'(

12. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I get my Focus Night and Day from lens.com and never had a problem.

Hint: use Clear Care for disinfecting and cleaning ... it's great. Just don't put it directly in your eye or you'll be screaming like a chimp.

Draft saved Draft deleted