1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a Wii

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Dec 2, 2007.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

WiiAlerts just sent me an email SIX minutes ago that Amazon had them....

By the time I got to the site and signed in and added them to my cart, they were gone.

2. Saw a TV news report earlier this week saying that anyone who goes to a Game Stop on Thursday or Friday and pays for a Wii will be guaranteed to get one in January.

3. Sounds like the dreaded friend codes. Not looking forward to that once I eventually get my hands on one.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

my sister-in-law and her man friend were visiting over the weekend, going to several stores here in search of a wii for their respective kids. no dice. but lo and behold, they each purchased one this morning at a store in the albany, n.y. area.

this is what xmas shopping is all about. always has been. there's always a hot gift or three that's a bitch to find. back in the '80s, it was cabbage-patch dolls. when i was a kid in the '60s, my father went nuts finding a "mr. kelly's car wash" and a "robot commando" for me.

it's always something.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What amazes me is that the Wii was little hyped when it was released, buried under the PS3 avalanche. Usually a "hot" product blows its figurative load early on ... kind of the opposite here.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Cabbage Patch Kids back in the 80s.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The whole industry expected it to fail. That's why there were so few games for the Wii in the first year or so. Now everybody's busting their asses to get new games out there.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

true dat. my boys' biggest complaint is that there are so few wii games out there at the moment.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I remember when it first came out and there were all the reports of the wrist injuries and the broken TVs from where people threw the controller.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

So far my damages consist of one dog clocked in the head by my brother while bowling (my brother was bowling, not the dog), and one controller cracked on the coffee table. That was also, I believe, during bowling.

11. A friend of ours lost her brand new platinum HD TV because her 7 year-old didn't wear the goddamn strap. They were out 7 grand because the warranty didn't cover flying controllers.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Another reason always to buy the service plan on that stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted