1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a Wii

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There is a Wii workout on Wii sports, I believe. And I agree about wrist action being key. It's easy to get caught up and move like you're doing a real sport or game, but you can throw your back out that way if you're older than, say, 15.

2. Hiro

Hiro Member

Same deal ... I found a stack of 10 in Target here one night. Called the fiancee (now wife) and she picked it up on her way home from work as a surprise two hours later, getting the last one left.

We haven't seen one in the store since, and that was probably May.

But honestly, as a person with a wife and a dog and a job and friends, I find myself much more inclined to handheld gaming. My DS and PSP have both been played twice as much as the Wii in that time period. Just love the convenience of playing for 15 minutes while I'm waiting somewhere and just closing it up and moving on with life.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

What you do on your time is your business, Hiro.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's also very aerobic. I played one for about 20 minutes -- the most exercise I've had all year.

5. You're never too old to stop playing video games.

6. Hiro

Hiro Member

*shamed silence*

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Lego Star wars is oe of the greatest games ever. Perfect for kids, since you can't get a Game Over and if you get stuck behind a wall while your partner is around the corner, you just pop out and hit start again.

Also, you can kill Jar Jar. Take control of him and keep walking him off the cliff . . .he makes a funny sound as he dies.

Sick? Yes. Satisfying? Hell yes.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you've played Madden for years, you might not want to do it on the Wii. You need hours to figure out how to move your arms to do everything you're used to with the controller. The hardest part, for me anyway, was kicking field goals with my hands.

9. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

You're right. I like my DS and the handful of games I have. But I'm too old to spend nearly $500 on a new system and new games. The DS was a better economical decision.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

My funny little hunny and I have been asked to keep an eye out for a Wii for our nephews. Yesterday my wife calls me at work and says they have 10 of them at Best Buy about an hour and fifteen from my office. Left the office and headed out and before I could get there my wife called and said never mind. 10 gone in an hour.

Still looking

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

One of the achievements in the 360 version of The Complete Saga is "Crowd Pleaser" (Kill Jar Jar 20 times) Good stuff.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There are some real bad-ass swordsmen among the jedis, especially Yoda. For an old dude who can barely walk, when he gets going with the light saber, you better back the fuck off. My kid went into a crowd of Storm Troopers with him last night, and three seconds of green-flashing light later, all that was left was a pile of helmets.

Draft saved Draft deleted