1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a Wii

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Dec 2, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Played my brother's Wii over Thanksgiving, what a blast. Bowling was our favorite too. Golf was damn hard.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I lucked into one. Walked into a GameCrazy and they'd just gotten in 15 of them.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I think bowling and golf are the easiest. I hate tennis with a passion.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I think it's kind of like iPods, they just cost what they cost no matter where you buy them. Man, I just do not get why Nintendo wouldn't make sure everyone who wanted one could get one. I realize they are a lot more popular than people expected, but it's been a year! Make your factory run 24/7! People are trying to buy your product!

I love mine. I'm having fun renting games to try them out and see all the ways the remotes can work. The shooter games are cool, where you hold a remote to move your character in one hand and another remote that's your weapon in the other.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

love mine...

if you do luck out and get one, make sure you buy wii play -- it's an extra wii mote plus a game for $10 more (the game is worth only about $10). make sure you have as many wii motes as people you'll have playing. make sure you get an extra nunchuck as well, you'll want it for boxing.

i like the zapper, too.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I didn't know whether I wanted a Wii or a 360 until I saw the Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 commercial.

When the young lady in the bikini did the DX chop with the controller to make her HHH character do the chop, I made my decision.

7. I wouldn't be fooled by that. It seems like every third-party game made for the Wii can never capture how to truly take advantage of the controls.

8. I got a Wii for my kids two months ago at Toy's-R-Us. The key was I called and asked when the next shipment would be in. So I got there an hour before the store opened and got one of the six they received.

Another option is to go to Fry's in you area (if you have one). They say that if they do not have one in stock, they will have one sent from a store that does and call you when they have it. If this is accurate, they are the only chain that will do this.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

The wife and I lucked into ours when we went into a Wal-Mart in the middle of the night on a whim for my birthday. As fate would have it, there was a Wii just sitting there in the back of the case, in the dark, just beckoning to us. We didn't believe it.
    It is the best thing we have ever played and will not be going back to Sony for quite some time (think GTA 4).

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Shucks, I whiffed more times in Wii golf than when I was eight years old at the driving range. What's the secret?

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

It's alllll in the hips. Actually, the wrist. The Wiimote can't tell if you're swinging from the shoulders or just moving your wrist, so you have to keep it still or relax and let it go with your swing. Either way, I suggest watching a 5 or 6 year old relative play it. They know the trick somehow.

12. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Does the girl come with the Wii? It's the only way I can justify buying yet another console. I think I'm old enough to be done with video games other than my DS.

Draft saved Draft deleted