1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a weekly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by typefitter, Nov 21, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

just remember, because of who you are, what you do wil get some media scrutiny.

with press attention comes certain expectations and if the paper sucks under your ownership then it will, by extension, damage your name.

especially by the types who lie in the tall grass with sharp knives waiting for a stumble by you.

on the flip side, from a very practical standpoint, you can make some money or at least break even.

i'd be curious to know if the weekly does anything besides the paper. Meaning, do they have advertising rich special sections or annual pubs that make some money.

if they don't, you could start them and get a better turnaround on your initial investment and, eventually, you'll have a McSweeney's like publishing empire.

You'll spend some money up front. Purchase price, new office space, computers, people cost. What it really depends on, is think five years from now, and the paper is making some money but not piles, it is consuming a fair chunk of your life, will you want to see it out for another five years, or will you want to part with it?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dude, it's a small-town Canadian weekly.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The book would have to be very successful to pay the expenses. Long shot at best.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe you're forgetting that these are people's lives (well, Canadians' lives). You can't use people on a whim, make them your muse for a moment then discard their careers.

This industry is difficult enough. It's tough out there, tough maintaining a sense of pride, tough going into work every day knowing the next round of layoffs is coming around at any minute, tough knowing the ink on your hands becomes more obsolete every day. We do this because we love it. Because it's all we know and all we hoped we ever would need to know. We battle difficult bosses and impossible deadlines and discontented readers and carpel tunnel syndrome and absentee parenting and stress migraines.

No one deserves to face all that as some guinea pig in a social experiment.

If you do this, typefitter, please don't Lee Abrams it. Care about the people. Care about the product. Care about making a difference, not a story. I don't know you, but I have read enough of your work and your posts to get the feeling you would care. I hope you would care.

5. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

You will have to fire some good people who just aren't talented enough, keep some bad people who are, hire some at less than what you know they are worth, and lose the good ones time and time again. No room for sentiment. If you haven't been in a situation before where you are responsible for making the decisions about someone else's livelihood, where you have to tell someone with a family who is in your face begging you to keep them on when you have to let them go, this might be the most difficult thing of all, and something that will keep you up nights.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There are ways to avoid "selfish" while remaining "practical" -- he could use the advance from the book to give the employees he cares about a decent raise while he's trying to sell the paper. Because he would be selling the paper at some point.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think the mistake many first time business owners make is that they get caught up in the romance of ownership and do not pay enough attention to the reality of the accounting.

In evaluating the purchase of a business you need to take a hard look at the basic pro foma numbers.

What is the monthly revenue? Is it sustainable? Is there potential for revenue growth? What are the expenses related to
    achieving revenue growth?

What are the monthly expenses compared to revenue. Expenses should include debt service if you are taking a loan to purchase. Can you make it through a month when revenue does not cover expenses.

How much of revenue is "safe" under new ownership? Are existing customers staying out of loyalty to current ownership?
    Are the subscription and advertising rates in line with market and monthly revenue requirements? Is there room to raise prices?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I also think this kind of stuff would be incredibly hard for typefitter.

Any changes to a sleepy, old, weekly will be met with complaints. And, because you're a famous, "big time" writer, you will personally be a lighting rod for people who hate change.

You want to do something good, and you'll end up being the "bad guy" in the eyes of many, no matter what you do.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Sure, but it depends on the expenses. How much of a publisher's hat is Our Intrepid Crusader willing to don?

Probably so.

Which would make tales of its inevitable difficulties very interesting reading.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Buy a boat instead. Same angst, but in the end it's just a boat.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

type, I was in a somewhat similar situation to you a few months ago. My (now former) boss offered to sell me the paper I was editor at. He was asking for WAY too much, especially when he admitted the paper was losing about $1,500 a week (due largely to bad decisions by said boss). There was about the same amount of stuff being offered to you: essentially the name and subscriber/advertiser bases. Computers were crap, rented building, etc.
    One key advantage to your situation is the lack of competition. But therein lies a potential downfall: do people support the paper simply because it's the only game in town? Do they care about the quality of the product? In other words, if the paper is suddenly "good," will there be a correlating uptick in subscribers?
    You mentioned having two other jobs. Realistically, how much time would you have to devote to this? Second, you mentioned buying at least a portion. What does that mean? Are there going to be fellow co-owners?
    I would also question what staff is in place. Is it a one-man shop or are there multiple writers? If it's a one-man shop with a bad writer, that's easier than having multiple bad writers. But regardless, who will be ensuring the writing turns around?

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

See if you can get accepted into Gannett, as a high-ranking owner of a publication this should land you an enormous bonus. Oh, and make sure to put your entire staff on endless furloughs the moment this deal goes through :)

Draft saved Draft deleted