1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flip Wilson, Jul 18, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have a 37" Philips in the bedroom and it's wonderful. Far better than my Vizio, but technology changed so much in the 2 years between sets.

And Madhavok, I ordered that TV for friends of ours. They wanted it for their daughters birthday, so I told them I would order and they paid me.
    Got a call from Dell last night saying it was backordered and would be Aug. 4 before it was delivered; got an email this morning from UPS that it had been shipped but on the truck for delivery to their house.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dell's got a 47" Philips for today only for 999 and a 42" for 699...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=tv_deals

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got an email from Sharp today... offering me a 46 inch Aquos for 899 with free shipping.
    I have no need for this (tho day-um), but I'll send the link and the code to get in to anyone that wants it. Not sure if it can be used more than once.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Still looking. WalMart has the Vizio 32" for $368. Might pull the trigger on it. Best Buy has it's brands for $330-ish but, I'd be spending $20 in gas just to get there and back.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've started shopping around for a TV/home theatre system this week for the new man cave.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I found a bundle at Wal-Mart that includes a 46-inch Samsung 1080-120 with a home theatre system for $999. That's the leader in the clubhouse so far.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you are anything like me and hate extra cords everywhere, and little tiny speakers that you could trip over, or ineviatebly have to bolt down, maybe try a soundbar.

I've been looking at them for when I purchase a house in a few months. It's one long bar that sits under your TV and mimics a surround sound system. Has a ton of power and can hook up to an ipod too. Of course I need a TV to go with it and I have no idea what I am going to buy. Thinking about a 40-46 inch television. So let me know what you end up finding. I have no idea what is good now for TV's.

8. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Time to pull the trigger.

Bought our 46-inch Samsung 1080/120hz during Black Friday online on Best Buy. TV was $999 with free shipping and setup. It's been a fantastic TV, too.

Also have a 32-inch Philips hanging on the wall in the bedroom, with no complaints on that one either.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

I thought about that, but my cousin hooks up computer systems and shit like that for the government, and he said he could hook me up so that the wires would be competely hidden. We'll see.

Good to know, Chase. I'm definitely leaning toward the Samsung 46.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

11. JackReacher

OK. I've been told that for those who watch a ton of sports on TV, a 240Hz TV is the best. Little more pricey usually, but I've found this one that's pretty damn cheap, but I'm not familiar with the brand. The reviews are fantastic, though.

Anyone have a ProScan TV? Worth a shot?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProScan-47LC55S240V87/14053382

Draft saved Draft deleted