1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flip Wilson, Jul 18, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Flip, I priced my 46-inch Sony and Panasonic blu-ray and surround system at Best Buy at about $2,700, plus 10 percent tax.

I got the same setup at http://www.vanns.com/shop for about 1,800 with no tax and free delivery. It's a small electronics chain HQ'd in Missoula. They were very helpful over the phone when I had some questions. Their staff was very good at helping me choose the right cables, etc., to get everything going (I had to call because I wasn't sure).

They also had no interest for a year.

You may think their stuff is refurbished because the prices are so low, but they are an authorized new equipment dealer.

I'll be a customer until the day they close the doors.

If you want, send me an email address, and I'll copy and paste some info from my consumer reports subscription on the size/type you're looking for.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've already been on Craigs and to be honest, I'd have to drive an hour to the Denver area for anything and I don't want to do that. I'll keep looking tho. This is hard tho, such a good deal to pass on.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Best place on the Internet is Crutchfield.com.
    They have the best customer service and no sales tax if you don't live in Virginia.
    Sorry Moddy.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can get a 42-inch 1080p for less than $800 at Wal-Mart now. If you are just going to use the built-in stand, the big cost is Blu-Ray if you're going that route. Just don't be like a friend of mine that bought an HD for $3,000, but didn't fork over the dough for HD cable. He didn't even buy a digital tuner for the TV, since this was back in the day when HD sets didn't have built-in digital tuners.

5. dieditor

dieditor Member

Glad I'm not the only one. I bought a 37" Sanyo LCD from Wal-Mart on special last month, and had a hell of a time getting it in the car. Once I finally got it home, it's a great TV. I got a good deal on a Blu-Ray player at the same time, and let me tell you, once you watch Blu-Ray movies on an LCD with an HDMI cable, you'll hate watching movies any other way. My Wii looks amazing too.

I bought that TV for $349, I believe. Hell of a deal, I'm very happy with it.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I broke out in a sweat when I tried to get my TV in my minivan. And it was below zero out at the time. Get a pickup truck if possible.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I'm curious, but is it safer in this economic climate to purchase a tv and the like from someplace like Best Buy for warranty purposes?
    Would hate to buy a tv from someplace that goes under less than a year later and makes the warranty worthless.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Online places like Dell and Tigerdirect will sell you a warranty with work done by a contracted third party.

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I've found that if you take the TV out of the massive box filled with packaging, it is much easier to get it in the car. And mine actually fit in an oversize laundry basket so I could pull it up the stairs. The gettting it home/getting it in the room/getting it hooked up, is definitely the worst part of the process.

Especially when you live by yourself!

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Don't buy anything made by Phillips/Magnavox. Trust me on this.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

10 percent tax?

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry. Just looked it up. 9%.

Draft saved Draft deleted