1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flip Wilson, Jul 18, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC bought a 37" Sharp Aquos from Best Buy. Price included wall mounting.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I had three Insignia HD LCDs from Best Buy in my first apartment out in CO. 42" in the living room, 32" in each bedroom. *sigh*, I miss that unit. I need a TV fast, not too sure what to go after.

I'm thinking a 32-36", maybe just 720 if I go with the 32. Certainly 1080 if it's the 36.

3. The rule I've heard is that you only see the difference in 720 vs. 1080 if you sit less than twice the size of the TV away from the screen.

So you'd have to sit within six feet of a 36" to see the difference. Or within 10 feet of a 60 inch. Or within 3ish feet of a 19 inch.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got a great deal on a 40" Sony with Jr.com last year.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Component video cables are also good, though not as convenient as HDMI since HDMI carries both video and sound. And stay far, far away from Best Buy.

6. jackandcoke

jackandcoke Member

As others have said, an LCD is the way to go.

Recently picked up a 42-inch Vizio at Costco after a lot of research and have been very impressed. Vizio seems to be the best bang for your buck.

Just make sure the television and its huge box can fit in your car. I didn't. That was an awkward and hilarious scene in the parking lot.

7. Check with your cable company. Time Warner gives out component/audio cables if you've got the digital HD tier. I'd imagine most other companies would, too.

One thing we didn't know when we bought ours, LCD can go any which way, but plasma has to stand up on at least a 45 degree angle or so, so you can't just drop the back seat of the Civic and put it through the trunk to get it home.

They were able to take ours out of the box and it just barely made it in with the box gone and the bottom part (cardboard with the packing foam) holding it up.

8. Madhavok

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just prowling around the Dell site, that's a really good deal....
    The extended warranty ( a must since fixing an LCD ain't cheap) will be covered by the coupon.

10. Madhavok

I wonder if I can talk my roommates into upgrading our Comcast to the triple play which is like 99 for 2/years. If not, this thing will be good for only watching DVDs and playing my 360. I need a TV really bad. I've always had one and if I can, I'd try to get a CRT HDTV like the one I had. Decent picture, just heavy as heck to move around. Ahhh.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ouch. CRT HD had to be a ball buster....

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

If you're that desperate and looking for something under 32" that isn't fancy schmancy, I highly recommend Craigslist.

I've bought several TV's from folks on there for spare bedrooms and such for less than $50.00. Some were $25.00.

Draft saved Draft deleted