1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flip Wilson, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, bit I can't find that particular thread.

We priced HD TVs today at Best Buy, just to get a ballpark price range. I remember folks here saying, "Buy online," but what sites do you recommend? The Web sites of the big box stores? Overstock? Somewhere else?

Thanks.....

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I actually got a very nice Vizio from Wal Mart for a good price, so you could try that.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Be sure to include installation, set up and a stand, if you need one. Those can add several hundred dollars to the purchase price.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I too am in the market for a TV.

My brother told me don't mess with plasmas. They have all kinds of issues. Go with LCDs instead.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Your brother is a sharp fellow. Plasmas are too entirely too pricey, still have problems dissipating heat - though they're not as bad as they used to be - and burn-in issues.

It would be neat if anyone sold an HDTV in a CRT, but given that it's a dying art, the weight and - at least in my case, the refusal of anyone to try to repair it - go with LCD.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Yeah, we'll probably go with an LCD. One site I read said plasma TVs are good for dim rooms while LCDs are better for rooms with more light. The den where the TV will be going has six windows, so it's not really a difficult choice.

7. We love our plasma, you just have to be aware of potential issues. Treat it like a baseball glove: break it in then don't abuse it.

They're also way cheaper than LCD. But that's not accounting for energy (they use a lot more) or space/weight (also a bit more). You'll catch glare off the screen on plasma that you won't on LCD, but you'll be able to watch it from more angles, in that it holds picture better when you're not straight on.

Also, don't bother with 1080 unless you're going with 50-inch or over. From what I've read you'll never see your money in the difference.

I found this thread VERY helpful on another forum when we were shopping for ours.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=86179

Also, if you buy in a chain store (Best Buy, HH Greg) haggle. Seriously, it saved us $100 off a $600 TV.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Slickdeals.net, Fatwallet.com always have links to deals.

I'm in the market too and I"m not sure if I'll go 32" or higher.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I bought one at Costco, one at Dell and helped Moddy find one at Dell...not a problem with any of them

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

LCD with as high a contrast ratio and hz as you can afford.
    Make sure you have HD. Because having a 1080p set without HD is like having a four-cylinder in a Mustang.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

We've bought our past two TVs from vanns.com. Been very happy with both purchases; service is great, as are the prices.

12. NCWCsports

NCWCsports New Member

You need to buy an LCD TV, get an HDMI cable to maximize your television's HD capabilities, and then make sure you get everything covered as far as wall mounting, hook up, surround sound system, etc. Most stores package all of the above very nicely. Best Buy has the best all-around package and they will price match any TV's that are the same size/style from any other store. I've always had a great time with Best Buy. They'll take care of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted