1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a Tuxedo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, May 10, 2013.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Screw that. I don't want to go around eternity wearing a tux. Bury me in something comfortable. (Of course, I want to be cremated because even dead I get nervous thinking about being closed up in a coffin!)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What I'd do if you don't wear one often. You go straight, two button, normal, single-notch lapel, not double breasted (unless you are an all-weather double-breasted kind of person).

Styles change and there is always a current-fad-black-tie-kinda-suit, but if you go with the classic "Dean Martin" tux (minus the bow tie big enough to land a plane on and the ruffled shirt), you'll be good to go for years.

I have two of them. One I bought, one that someone gave me because they couldn't fit into it anymore and it was too nice a tux to toss (even though I think even the nicest tux is about the silliest-looking outfit around).

I hate putting on tuxedos, but I have at least three things a year I have to do it for. Having the basic, classic tux waiting to go when I need it has paid for itself. ... Even if it is a stupid outfit.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't think the two button / three button is as big a deal as the double breasted. Depending on your build sometimes a three button can look better.

Unless I am not understanding I am a bit confused by the "2 front pockets and chest pocket" If this is correct he is going to look like a railroad conductor. Hopefully he
    meant two side pockets.

The thing is for most events majority are in ill fitting rentals. Even with a cheap well tailored tux of your own, you will be ahead of the curve.

What really stands out are ill fitting shirt / bow tie combos. Spend a few extra dollars there.

I've gotten away from the shoes and just wear black dress shoes. No one cares.
    tux you will be

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've also ditched the shoes and I never wear a cummerbund, vest or tux shirt, for that matter. On the shirt, I just go with French cuffs and a pinpoint collar.

The thing about double-breasted coats is that they look really stupid when unbuttoned with all of that excess fabric flapping around in front of you, so you need to keep them buttoned all the time.

We really need to get Frank_Ridgeway's take here. I won't feel like we've heard an authoritative opinion until he weighs in.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you both about the double breasted, but I hold out one exception -- someone who is carrying a lot of weight. That was what I meant by the "all-weather double-breasted kinda person." There are some big men, who I think actually should be wearing double breasted, the same way I think most men shouldn't go anywhere near it. What cran said about about it flapping around unless you have the barrel chest and belly that to take it on. And it looks horrible if you are not one of the relatively few double-breasted men. Also, the double-breasted never looks good when you are sitting and have to open the buttons.

I thought the fake leather shoes and cummerbund being no gos went without saying. And yeah, if you are going to go with a tuxedo, it's French cuffs and nice cufflinks, although again, it is about the silliest get up on earth no matter how you slice it.

I like really plain shirts. No frilly things or ruffles -- even the "normal" tuxedo shirt is too goofy for me. I just try to keep it as simple as possible. A good-fitting tuxedo (Buck is right, you should go for fit more than the brand name on the tux -- most people show up for black tie in ill-fitting jobs), classic peaked lapel (not the shawl), simple white shirt with a stiff collar, cufflinks, suspenders hidden and a nice polished pair of black shoes.

You may not be the trendiest guy at the party, but it will never go out of style.

Draft saved Draft deleted