1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a Tuxedo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, May 10, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Might as well use another man's toothbrush.
    Some things ought to be personal.
    Thank you all for the suggestions.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Most men wear the same tux for years. If you're not scrupulous about weight maintenance, single-breasted is more forgiving than double.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Seconded. I bought my tux at Jos. A. Bank sale about 10 years ago and it's already paid for itself in terms of what I'd have otherwise spent for tacky rentals. Stick with a classic cut, a medium-width lapel and two-button and it will never go out of style.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Whether you'slim or chubby, avoid doubled breasted suits.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I hope you are going to be wearing it fairly regularly (as far as tuxes go), or you have the expendable income. 800 bucks is lot to drop on a tux just because you don't want to wear a cleaned tux that someone else already wore.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you're of a certain age and have a lot of close friends, you might wind up saving money in the long run. I wish I'd bought one when I was in my early 20s. I could have saved some money rather than renting tuxes for the dozen or so weddings I was in and some black-tie events I attended.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Definitely worth it if you get several uses out of it. I bought a suit for my 10-years HS reuinion and maybe wore it once after that. I still have it, but that was 13 years ago. Doubt it would still fit.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

wouldn't have enough occasions to wear it to justify buying one. But if I did, I'd definitely go black.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I wound up going with Jones New York.
    Three-button jacket with a chest pocket and two front pockets.
    Looking very handsome in it. I would like to be buried in this suit.
    Thank you for your advice, members and moderators.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I am almost 42 and have worn a tuxedo exactly three times in my life -- prom, wedding, buddy's wedding. I have no reason to suspect I'll ever have on one again.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

For a pine box?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Should've gone two-button

Draft saved Draft deleted