1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a present

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, May 7, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Need some present buying advice here.
    I have a nephew graduating high school in less than two weeks. Fortunately, I get paid two days before the ceremony.
    Anyway, for the 18 years I have given him Christmas and birthday presents, not once, NOT ONCE has he responded with a “Thank You,” verbally or with a card.
    I know I should have stopped sending him stuff, but he is, after all, my nephew.

Any advice?

Thanks.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You didn't even get a phone call with a quick "Thanks?"

Fuck that noise. Buy yourself something.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

How may nieces/nephews do you have?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Take the high road, it's too much of a statement to ignore a HS graduation...but now he's 18, you're done.

And when he doesn't acknowledge it, ask his parents if he ever received it or the last several gifts, you're worried they never arrived because he never said anything.

Even better, call to ask for their correct address, explaining you might have sent his previous gifts to the wrong place since there was no acknowledgement.

OR--send a charitable donation somewhere in his name. My favorite gift for selfish greedy kids. 8)

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't knock yourself out.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

What she said.

21-- love the charitable donation bit.

7. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Thank you all.

UT — I have two nephews from one brother, both of whom don't acknowledge anything. I have a niece and nephew from another brother, both of whom send thank-you cards immediately after receiving something.

21 — I know I have the right address ... they live a half-block away from me. ;D

I'm thinking maybe a dead president, perhaps 20 of them, in a graduation card.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mrs. t_b_f and I will be sending out checks for $20.07.

'cept to the bro, who gets $200.70.

Fucker, he didn't give me anything (of course, he was about seven). :) :D ;D

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Straight cash, homie.

Draft saved Draft deleted