1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a new TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Apr 2, 2012.

1. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

A lot of plasma sets nowadays come with an anti-glare coating which pretty much eliminates that problem.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I just bought a 55-inch plasma a month ago and it's sweet, with all the fun stuff 93Devil mentioned.

When I was shopping around and talking with folks, I was told that nowadays, there is virtually no difference in terms of glare of plasma vs. LED. Also, I was pushed away from LCD, mainly because they are being phased out.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Picked it up today. 42-inch Vizio LCD. 1080, 120Hz, all the good stuff.

I'm lacking in an HD cable box, so watching TV is pretty pathetic right now, but I'll have all that good stuff in time for the Masters.

It was a pain in the neck, though. None of the stores seemed to have anything in stock other than floor models (I almost gave in and bought one, but decided against it). I had to go to five stores, including two different Walmarts before anyone actually had it in stock.

Thanks to all my SJ cronies for the input. Much appreciated.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Here's a helpful calibration hint that I learned the hard way. When you calibrate it -- and you definitely will want to adjust the out-of-the-box settings -- make sure you turn your sharpness way down. Like, if it's a scale of 0 to 100, crank it all the way down to about 4 or 5.

My sharpness was up at about 60 and I never thought to tweak it, and football and basketball players would have this fuzzy "halo" around them. Like a fool, I thought it meant the picture wasn't sharp enough -- so I cranked it further and further up. Not surprisingly, it got worse and worse.

Only when I turned it way down did it disappear. Simple enough, yet I felt like an idiot for not thinking to do it sooner.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You can probably still get the major network channels in HD (provided you have cable already).

I don't have a HD box on my bedroom set, but still get those networks in HD. Just tune to the 200 channels and they should be there.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The Vizio I bought a couple months ago didn't need any setting adjustments. Once you turned it on, it automatically adjusted its settings. Only button I pushed was the power button and it was ready to rock. And it's amazing.

Like 93D's, we have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and one other one I can't remember. Connects through our wireless internet connection. Also can access Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. And some other stuff I haven't had time to mess with just yet.

Congrats on your purchase. Hope it's awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted