1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a new TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Apr 2, 2012.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

So, Uncle Sam refunded me a decent chunk of change this year, and I'm using some of that to buy a new TV.

I'm OK on size. 40-42 inches will suit me just fine. And I actually have it narrowed down to 2 TVs, and I need some help to tip the scale.

Both TVs are WiFi enabled, 1080pi. There's about a $20 price difference, so money isn't a factor.

TV 1 is a 40-inch LED. The refresh rate on it is 60Hz.

TV 2 is a 42-inch LCD. The refresh rate is 120Hz.

I've heard that LED is better than LCD, but I'm not really sure why. A refresh rate of 120 seems better than 60, but I don't know how noticeable it is on that size of a TV.

My first instinct is that there can't be that much of a difference between LCD and LED, which makes me lean toward TV 2.

Buying a new TV sounds exciting, and I'm looking forward to having a new TV, but the process is a bit of a headache. Has anyone else gone through this recently who would care to weigh in?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

TV 2 all day long.

I have a 40-inch with 120 Hz. There's a difference from 60 Hz when watching action TV/films and sports. At least I think so ... results around here seem to vary.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It blows my mind how cheap great TVs are now.

I paid a fortune for our 60" TV about seven years ago. It's still nice, but doesn't have any of the bells and whistles that TVs that cost a fifth of what we paid then, do now...

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I used to work inside a Best Buy. I'll tell you, the 120Hz refresh rate is important. The LED is going to give you more vibrant colors and use a significantly less amount of energy. And the 60Hz refresh rate is most common among TVs right now. Usually only plasma has a higher refresh, I think it's 600 Hz.

If it were me, and I'm not going green anytime soon, I'd say TV 2.

5. dieditor

dieditor Member

Agree on TV #2. I have a 60Hz in the bedroom and a 120Hz in the living room and the 120Hz model is FAR superior for watching sports and other programs/movies with a lot of action. If you watch only sitcoms and the news, 60Hz will probably be fine. But for sports (I've especially noticed this with football), the higher hertz rate can't be beat.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The higher hertz rate gives movies originally produced on film a video feel, which looks odd to me. I wouldn't worry about Wi-Fi and would just get a Roku or Apple TV instead.

7. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

Go plasma and you won't need to worry about the refresh rate. You also get a better view at all angles.

LCD and LED still have no demonstrable advantages over plasma. It may be an old tech but it's still the best all-around performer.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Always go with the larger refresh rate.

Also, V-I-Z-I-O. We just got a 42-inch Vizio a couple months ago. Greatest TV I've ever owned. Too bad it's my wife's. Still trying to figure out how much trouble it'd be to switch TVs with the one in my basement.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

That makes it a bit easier. TV 2 is a Vizio.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is far, far less glare on LED and LCD televisions than there is on a plasma. I have one of each, and the difference is incredible, especially for movies with darker tones.

I echo what Mizzou said. I got an old tube set, 32 inches or so, in about 2000. It lasted me until late 2011, around Thanksgiving, when we finally bought a new one. If I'd have known that I could score a 50-inch plasma for $500, I would have gone that route a very long time ago. The stand was practically as much as the TV itself.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just bought a 55" Panasonic Viera plasma from Sears for $999.

It's insane.

3D
    I can hard wire the internet
    Stream Amazon, Netflix and Hulu Plus
    I think I can do apps through it (I have not gotten that far)
    SD card slot to look at photos

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

FYI, if you're buying a Vizio LCD, you're getting an LG screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted