1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a new laptop ... suggestions please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I see your point but at the same time this laptop is going to be my home computer. I don't have a desktop so I want something powerful enough to stay ahead of the curve.

2. I have had a HP pavilion with extra large screen for about 3 years and very little has gone wrong with it. The extra large acreen allowed for me to have a full kepboard with number pad, which is a nice added bonus, I also work a pretty large freelance job for a magazine,a nd I have a lot of programs on it, Indesign CS5 suite, and a newer version of quark . . .anyway, lots of programs, and it runs really well. Plus, to me, i think you can get lot of ram and hard drive for your money as compared to Macs. I bought a pretty low end toshiba for my kids, who pretty much only used it for internet and saving photos on, and the hard drive bummed out in 6 months. I know HP has its detractors, but I have been very happy.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The screen went on on my Dell Inspiron two months after the extended warranty expired... At the very least, I'll be buying a monitor until I can scrape enough together for another laptop. Fucking sucks...

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

does ipad play dvds?

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have an HP Pavillion as well and very happy with it. The only knock is that it's a bit heavy when travelling but I like the larger screen.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Since this thread was brought back to life six months later, Evil what did you end up getting?

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Does it play VHS tapes?

That's about how useful DVD drives will be in about two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted