1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a new laptop ... suggestions please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 26, 2010.

1. I don't think I need anything fancy.
    I need a new laptop for work and play.
    It needs to have a good word program and internet capability - so I can send stories and pics.
    It also needs to be able to handle Netflix streaming videos.
    Play DVD for the kids for the long ass trip to the beach. As well as contain ports to sync with the camera, cell phone, Ipod, MP3 player and all that other crap.

Anything else? Am I missing something? I am not that computer savvy.
    Am I correct or do I just need a basic laptop?

I have been fiercely loyal to Gateway. I have owned two desktops and laptop all from Gateway. Never had a problem. Should I look at another brand?

Suggestions?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's a pretty standard list. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a good basic laptop that will handle all of that with ease.

I've got a Sony Vaio laptop that's been terrific, but I would think you'd be fine with a Gateway.

Contrary to what I'm sure people will be posting soon, I wouldn't bother with an Apple, unless you want to pay twice as much for the right to tell people you bought an Apple.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you're doing.
    I'm in the process of covnerting my workstation to Mac. It's a better fit for what I do much of the time.
    I'm going to convert at home as well, because Mac is a better environment for home recording.
    However, for a laptop, I use an old Toshiba that works fine. I just don't need access to a lot of design software or any recording software while I'm travelling. I don't traveling that often or that long.

In fact, I'm actually thinking that when I retire that old Toshiba (I have to start it with a hand crank), all I really need is a good phone with a qwerty pad and decent Internet connection.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I just bought a MacBook Pro, and I absolutely love it. I've had to convert everything from my old PC (which wasn't as daunting as I thought it would be), but I really couldn't be happier with the purchase. Apple gives you a year of interest-free financing, which also was a huge plus for me.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Just make sure it comes with a DVD drive. Some of the tinier (and cheaper) computers seem to be without them.

And as PCLL said, with the basic stuff you want to do, no need to bother looking at Apples.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Love my HP Pavilion. Super fast, loads quickly. Got it for $1,200 that included the Office package and three-year extended warranty.

8. That was my wife's addendum ... a DVD drive and a cd burner.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'd possibly stick with Gateway, Evil.

This one has great specs -- not to mention a huge screen -- for the money:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361758,00.asp

This one isn't much different -- aside from a smaller screen and slightly slower processor -- for $100 less:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350931,00.asp

I'm considering the first laptop because it fits my budget. But I'd go with the Vaio -- love the way they look -- if I had the cash.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm in the market for a laptop and have narrowed my choices down to a few. Would like some opinions...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115866 (Acer)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157424 (HP)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220753 (Asus)

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have a MacBook Pro and I love it, but I also got it so it would be compatible with my work server at my former job (the computer I had at my station was crap and actually died right before I left. It also couldn't handle any design software, so I had to have a laptop with Photoshop on it). One of my friends just got a Vaio and she really likes it.

I've always had a Dell for my desktop and have had very few problems that didn't involve lightning. Once, lightning struck my house, went through the phone lines and corrupted Windows (this was back when I had dial-up so it killed my modem too.) I spent about three hours on the phone with Dell customer service and they were nice enough to hang with me, even though my computer kept freezing when we were trying to reinstall Windows.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Go to tigerdirect. Pick up whatever laptop deal they're pimping. It's really that simple. Brand names mean shit. As long as the thing works and runs Windows 7 fine, you're golden.

I'd also never pay more than $600 for a laptop unless I required it for some sophisticated gaming or hacking.

Look into refurbished ones too. There's some deals to be had if you go that route. And if you have an older laptop which still works, but just has issues with malware or viruses go to a linux outlet somewhere online and download one of those install disks (for free). Wipe that baby clean and stick an OS like Ubuntu, Mint or something else on there. Everything essential is included (clones of office programs, photoshop, IM, e-mail clients...pretty much anything you need) in these releases and your computer which you thought was useless will run better than you every imagined.

Draft saved Draft deleted