1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a Laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Oct 14, 2009.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Don't you love it when the updates designed to "enhance your computer's performance and security" end up breaking the damn thing?

I had a similar problem with the latest flood of Vista updates (15 or so). Startup Repair did the trick for me, though now all the updates are listed as failed.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a relatively new Dell Inspiron, it's about a year old. Nice computer, nothing too special.

Vista is a nightmare. Internet Explorer just randomly stopped working for me and luckily, I had safari and I later downloaded firefox and Chrome, but I can't get Windows updates anymore. Everything works OK, but it freaks me out a bit that that I can't get the regular updates. I've tried all of the regular sites and nothing works. When I call the help sites they say this is something that happens all the time with Vista.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

How many GBs of memory did it have?

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Can't disagree with any of that. I bought a Dell Studio 1535 last year and I couldn't be happier with it myself. I got it for $699 and it does everything I need it to do and then some. And it's plenty fast enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The nastiest virus I've ever encountered was on a Mac. Granted this was 10 years ago on OS 9, but this thing was an absolute menace to get rid of.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's a myth that macs don't get viruses. It's just that most viruses are written to attack PCs. As more and more people go to Macs, I'll bet more viruses start popping up. Mac's OS also has performance issues as you put more and more software on them. It's not nearly as bad as Windows, but it happens nonetheless. I'm not anti-Mac, I have no problem working with them (as I do at work every day), but I won't buy one personally because of the cost factors echoed many times on this thread.

7. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Well yeah, nothing's going to be perfect.

I went with a Mac because I'd been using my wife's (then my girlfriend) for about a year and working for about six months at a place that used all Macs. I just liked them better than my PC, and I needed something I could run Adobe CS3 on the next year. I felt more comfortable using the software on Mac than PC.

It's just a matter of preference. I'm going to keep mine until it dies, and it works just as great now as it did a year and a half ago when I bought it.

I agree that they are expensive though. It's definitely not the route to go if you're trying to keep costs down in the present, but odds are you'll save yourself money in the long run if you stick with the same computer. My wife had her for five years before her roommate spilled coffee on it.

I'll tell you the best thing to do. Whatever you buy, factor into your budget the couple hundred bucks it costs to get Best Buy's protection plan. No matter what happens--you could put a hammer through it--they'll replace it for the price you paid, with whatever is new. Pretty good deal.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Just read somewhere (I'd link it I could remember where I saw it) that big price drops on coming on laptops.

9. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Pros: Portable; can carry all your files with you anywhere.
    Cons: Usually not as fast as an internal drive (unless you have an eSATA one). And if you're putting one-of-a-kind content on it, it'll need to be backed up as well as the internal HD. Easily lost/stolen.

That said, the WD Passports are small and popular (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=western+digital+passport&x=0&y=0). (Presuming you want something as small as possible.) I have one of the 320GB ones. Should be some good sales coming up in the next month or so, too.

If you just have a few big files that you occasionally need access to, try Dropbox (http://www.getdropbox.com/) or just get a 16GB USB stick. Or burn 'em to a DVD.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Just lost me Dell Inspiron today to a water accident via my 5-year old. Sucks big time, so I'm now in the market.

Mine was great for what I needed it for the most, but Vista was a pain in the ass, especially lately. Would freeze up the internet a lot more than it should have at the most inopportune times.

Also, for you Vista folks, there have been several occasions when I would try to file stories from various arenas, but the wireless signal at the venue couldn't crack through Vista for some reason, which proved to be a major pain in the ass.

Did that every happen to everybody else?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes - more than it should and I don't understand it. But my old work computer had XP and would zoom along just fine and the house computer with Vista couldn't get through. Some sites simply would not load.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm a Mac guy, but I'm not dogmatic about it. If you have the money, I'd strongly recommend a Mac. If you don't, you'll be just fine with a Windows box.

You will have a very, very hard time killing one of those IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. They're not the spiffiest or flashiest or cutest machines, but you can absolutely abuse one and it'll keep coming back for more.

Draft saved Draft deleted