1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a Laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd spend $1,000 to not have to bother with Windows. Vista is a gigantic pain in the ass, and they're advertising 7 using a toddler and unicorn clip art. I'll pass, thanks.

Yes, Macs are expensive. Yes, you can get PCs cheaper. But you get what you pay for.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In the case of Macs, you get what you pay for means a better OS, the same or worse hardware specs, and a style statement. Whether that's worth hundreds of dollars more is up to each person, and I won't poopoo anyone's choices.

But that's all irrelevant anyway, because you can't get any mac laptop for $1,000. The very cheapest model is listed at $999 before any extras or shipping and handling.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Actually, Windows 7 is getting a lot of good press. It doesn't freeze nearly as often and works light years better than Vista according to the tech journalists I've read.

Consequently I'd suggest anyone in the market should think twice about going the Mac route purely because they believe Windows sucks.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Your laptop lasted more than five years? My record is barely over two.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've always had Compaq desk tops and Dell laptops and can't complain with either. Dell has some major deals right now on pretty good machines for 700 or so bucks.
    Interesting, though, that they will now "upgrade' you to Windows XP for 150 bucks.

My brother just bought a massive and cool MAC all-in-one desktop for less than 1,500. He's in position to spend what he wants on a computer. He says MAC prices have come down quite a bit.

We have three Dells in this house and a Gateway (the wife's work computer).

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've had my Dell laptop for something like 3 years now, might be close to 4. Couldn't be happier with it, knock on wood. No major problems so far. From the way some of you talk, I should feel pretty fortunate for having one last so long.

For those whose laptops have lasted only a year or two, what happened?

And we upgraded to Vista here at work earlier this summer. I don't mind it so much, but the new version of Microsoft Word isn't exactly ideal.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the finer points of portable hardrives and the benefits.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?aid=AIC-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOK-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOK-INDEX

Starts at $999, yeah, but free shipping. Taxes will kick your butt, though.

Honestly though, I bought a Macbook Pro a year and a half ago, and that Macbook has virtually the same performance specs. Great little machine for a grand. Mine cost $2K.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I know why you want this, but wouldn't it still be easier to use one great laptop you can carry with you, and just email yourself the files you want when you use that little laptop? To me, the external hard drive seems like one more thing to lose or forget or screw up.

As to original laptop question, I have great love for my Dell Latitude E6400, have gone through numerous Dell laptops with no problems. I would try a Mac if I had the patience to relearn the system, but I know I don't.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I had a really good experience going through tigerdirect.com.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wait until you can get one with Windows 7 on it.

Vista sucks balls...

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

lenovo? It used to be IBM.

I'm looking. Bought a Macbook pro from my daughter, but I can't afford one for myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted