1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by miroba71, Nov 22, 2007.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Bought a $400 el-cheapo Compaq laptop from Staples on Black Friday last year. Other than being a bit short on the memory, it works like a charm. Great purchase.

Bought a $900 Gateway multimedia desktop from Office Depot in June 2006. Buggy, buggy, buggy. And I've had nothing but bad experiences with Office Depot since then.

As of 12:15 p.m. EST on Thanksgiving, I reckon that the line to Best Buy has already rounded the corner of the store....

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

We've got Dells at work and have very few problems with them, unless someone leaves it on the roof of their rental car and drives off.

My daughter has an HP and we've had few problems. If you want to save some cash, consider the HPs with AMD chips as opposed to Intel.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I have a Gateway laptop, but a couple months after I bought it, I read some reviews about how the battery would fry my machine. Sure enough, a few weeks later, it starts to get really hot and goes to black screen. I still have the same one, but I am without a battery.

4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Thanks for sharing that info Mayfly. I've been leaning towards getting a Gateway laptop based on friend's recommendations. My folks have had exceptionally rotten luck with HP products so I'd like to avoid those. I'm leaning towards a Sony or Toshiba now.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

It's not that bad if you are going from XP to Vista, IF.........

.....you get the Easy Transfer Cable.

When I went from my Vaio (XP SP2) to my new HP (Vista), I first tried the wireless transfer, it was a pain, so I spent the $35 for the cable and 'viola!'

Files and even some of my programs transfered painlessly and without corruptedness.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My old computer was so old that the ETC didn't work properly on it.

I just used a flash drive. Moved all my iTunes files over first, then emptied it and moved all my other files over. Had to reinstall some of the programs, but other than that it was a snap.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

So let me get this straight...the cable turned this [​IMG] into this [​IMG].

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Nicely played, BGZ.

Draft saved Draft deleted