1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by miroba71, Nov 22, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

tick...tick...tick...tick...

when it does go, Mikey, make sure to log on from a library and let us know how much it sucks.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Got a $180 rebate, Beej, so that explains the price. And it runs Vista, which I'm not thrilled with but that's OK. The HP Pavilion notebook that I had my eye on for two months and was saving up for cost $699, no rebate. Mine was $470 ... with the exact same features. Easy decision.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The warranty does end in mid-December, huh. Well, it's a nice library, and I've got the desktop as a backup, anyway. Here's to hoping. ...

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

freakin' hater.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Speaking of annoying commercials.

7. Mira

Mira Member

I have a three-year old Dell Inspirion laptop with a 17-inch screen and it works great, but it's heavy.

I know some reporters who have newer, lighter models from Hewlett-Packard that they like a bunch. The screen is smaller, but it doesn't feel like you're carrying a 35 pound turkey.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Typing this on a five-year-old Gateway. Replaced the keyboard once ($40, 10-minute job); other than that, absolutely no complaints.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have a seven-year-old Apple iBook that still works OK, although OS 9 is a little cranky with some of the stuff on modern Web pages. As long as I keep the cookie cache clean, it works like a champ.

It technically still belongs to my paper, but they haven't missed it in about 3 years. Possession is nine-tenths of the law, as they say.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As long as it isn't urgent, why not wait until Dec. 26?

Whatever "bargains" you find on Black Friday will pale to what's out there on Dec. 26 and the days following.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

I've had a Dell Inspiron 600m for 3 years and it's starting to show its age.
    The "b" came off the keyboard last year and it's held on by tape.
    The DVD drive is useless and my hard drive is full. It freezes some times but it only has 512 MBs of memory.
    But for web surfing, it's OK.
    I paid $900 for it, so I got my money's worth.
    The thing I dread about getting a new computer is transferring files and settings to the new one.
    It's like moving into new house.

12. Apple. MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Had to rep my peeps ...

Draft saved Draft deleted