1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by miroba71, Nov 22, 2007.

1. miroba71

miroba71 New Member

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

I know this has been a thread before, but I'm thinking of picking up a laptop during the Friday morning sales. At Best Buy, I saw some HPs and Gateways on sale. What does everybody think of those brands? What's the general opinion on Toshiba?

I'd be using this laptop for word processing, managing my fan Web site using a Web-based editor and viewing some multimedia.

Sony Vaio seems to be the most popular laptop, but I didn't see any of those on sale for Black Friday. Should I hold out for one of those?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just don't get a Dell and you'll be fine.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What he said.

I have a Toshiba, my son has a Toshiba and I just bought one for my wife. Love it.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Had a Vaio, loved it.

Just got an HP a couple months ago, so far so good.

My brother uses a Toshiba for work, that's all he'll buy.

For what you're using a 'puter for, any of those brands should be find. Taking cost into consideration -- I would have had to pay almost $1000 more for a Vaio than what I paid for my HP with the same processor speed, hard drive, RAM. Something to think about.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I have a Dell and love it. This is my second, my first lasted four years with no problems. Got zapped in a storm. The only thing that sux is if you need tech support you end up talking to someone in India you can't understand.

Don't get get a compaq. I had a desktop before and it blew nuts. HP I've heard is not so hot either.

Toshiba, Sony, Gateway are all good options too.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Got zapped in a store? What's that mean?

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Yeah...sorry. Typo. Fixed.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ahh OK. That makes much more sense.

"lalalala I'll just carry my laptop into a store WHAT THE HELL?"

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The only thing that sucks about working for Dell tech support in India is that you end up talking to someone like melock that you can't understand.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I had an HP desktop for five years and loved it.

Just bought a Compaq Presario laptop for less than $500 at Office Depot about three weeks ago. It's outstanding.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Interesting. Was it on clearance or did you find a great sale?

And what does it run--Office or Vista? I've heard some not so good things about Vista, but it seems like it's the only operating system these days.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm going on a year with my Dell, and I've never had a problem with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted