1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

buying a house with a foundation problem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WildBillyCrazyCat, Feb 11, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Stay clear. Everything in the house rests on the foundation. Even if it has been fixed, there might be other problems in the house that, as a direct result, need fixing but won't be visible for a while.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

do not buy this house. DO NOT BUY THIS HOUSE. seriously, do not buy this house. you don't want to fuck with a fucked up foundation. a new roof? maybe. a foundation? no.

we bought our first house two years ago. it's an incredibly emotional decision and you get blinded by all sorts of things. you also get rushed into things. and you get told a lot of different things. the highs and lows for a first-time homebuyer are almost nausea-inducing.

it's tough to separate the emotion from the reality. just walk away. there will be many other houses out there. sure, you haven't yet seen the perfect one, but keep looking. it's out there.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't buy it.
    For all the good reasons people have listed.

4. Thanks for all the advice.

We're going to follow it. We're walking away from it.

Even with the seller willing to pay for the repairs, i.e. the I-beams, you all scared us enough to think that it would still be hard to re-sell. We were agonizing about this for about 24 hours yesterday, couldn't sleep, etc. It was a beautiful house on the inside, probably more than what we can afford if the foundation was solid.

But I think we're relieved today, just knowing that we will not have to worry about it.

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Yeah, <blue>it's that easy.</blue>

6. Nope, it's not that easy.

It takes a lot of work and luck to be in the position my family is in, and the house we're in.

My original point regarding the purchase of a first home was that it's best to buy a house you can do a quick turnaround with if needed ... You learn every time you go through the process (like just what scum some realtors are), including what you and your spouse are looking for in that special place you want to raise your children in.

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

The I-Beam solution should be nothing more then a temporary fix at best. To truly fix this problem you would need to solve the problem not the symptoms. Why is the foundation cracking? Is it because the concrete was poured poorly? Do you have poor soil bearing capacity under the house? There are so many variables that could be causing the foundation problems and until those issues are resolved you shouldn't even consider this house. I worked in the Civil Engineering field and I can't tell you how many of these situations I have seen. They all are very costly and time consuming. Unless you are getting a real steal, meaning similar houses are priced 30-40 grand above what you plan on paying I wouldn't even consider it.

Draft saved Draft deleted