1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a Goldfish

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Get a beta fish - they live a lot longer.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Boom's got a point. And they're better looking.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Trust me, I know what kind of fish Nemo and Marlin were. But the sharks' mantra, I believe, applied to all fish.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Buuuut, technically a shark would never be in position to eat a freshwater fish like the goldfish. Am I taking this too seriously? ;D

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

For comparison's sake:

Beta

[​IMG]

Goldfish

[​IMG]

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

And this is absolutely perfect timing.

http://cheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=4683653

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Get a tank. A small five gallon one is fine (though a 10 is more fun). But get a tank. Get some gravel to absorb the fish refuse, a filter and some de-chlorinater for the water. That's all you need.

The first "pet" I bought when I got out of college was a goldfish.

I've been out of college for six years now. Walden II is over five years old and enjoying life in his tank on my kitchen bar as we speak.

Those things will live for ages and get impressively big if you care for them properly. And it's not hard to care for them properly, just get a tank with a filter. They die quickly because people put them in little bowls. And because so many pet stores sell sickly gold fish who've been spreading diseases in their tanks. The PetSmart fish I've bought have all been plague-ridden things.

My five-year-old goldfish came from WalMart and cost me a quarter.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had several gold fish that cost me 10 cents each. They were supposed to be feeder fish for other fish and turtles at the pet store. We had an empty tank, so we got them for about 35 cents.

Two of them lived for about four years. The other died in a year.

The other recommedation I have is, if you have a large tank, see about buying a snail or a bottom-feeder fish as well. They help keep the tank a little cleaner.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Ooh. Checkmate.

10. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Bettas (Siamese Fighting Fish) are much better. They are much hardier than any goldfish and need a warm tank vs. a coldwater one to survive. They're extremely easy to take care of and you won't even need an aquarium to keep one healthy and happy for years.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Exactly how do you tell whether a fish is happy?

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Mine seems happy. He goes ballistic swimming up and down whenever I approach his bowl. Guess he thinks there is something in it for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted