1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a (desktop) computer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smash Williams, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a new computer, as the Dell Inspiron 710m laptop I currently have will soon become property of my father (he wants something simple with XP to get on the internet from his house, and this fits the bill more than and of the new stuff out there). I have a work-provided laptop right now, and I want a nice monitor setup at home for watching streaming sports, so I want to get a desktop and add a netbook later when I'm in need of something small and portable for work purposes.

I have about $1100 to spend, and $300 of that is being reserved for the eventual netbook. I know I will need to spend about $125 on software (virus protection + Microsoft Office), and in the neighborhood of $150 on a monitor unless I go with an All-in-One. I don't need any huge amount of memory (I use 50 gigs on my laptop), but I do stream hi-def hockey, and I assume that will necessitate a fair amount of RAM. I also would like it to be wireless because my desk is in a different room from the cable modem, though to make a computer wireless would only cost $50 or so.

I went to Best Buy to look at computers, but I didn't trust the tech there. I got the sense he was trying to sell me a lot more than I actually needed (a terabyte of memory, quad-core processor). Some of the all-in-ones were nice, but I'm not sure I trust not being able to just replace the monitor if I need to. The guy tried to steer me away from Gateway, Averatec and Acer and towards Dell, HP, Sony and Asus. There was a very nice LG 20 inch monitor on sale for $150 that I am eyeing.

Anyone been in the market for a computer recently and have any advice? I'm particularly curious about the all-in-ones and if they're a pain to fix or have problems with parts going wrong.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Suggest you find the Dell or HP computer that fits your needs and is attractive/comfortable for you. Both of them are reliable brands...

Draft saved Draft deleted