1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buy your own laptop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bob, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bob

bob Member

I've always been provided laptops and whatever tools I need to do the job by my employer, but as times get tough and my employer becomes cheaper by the minute, I'm starting to think about buying my own replacement when my current laptop croaks, which I'm expecting at some point in the near future. I know they'll try to have IT fix it, but that won't work. I know they'll try to jerk me around about giving me a replacement, and if they do it'll probably be a used piece of crap.
    So while I know larger papers take care of their people, what's the prevailing thought by others on buying your own? I know there's a tax break involved, but I just don't think I should have to shell out a grand to do it.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I bought my own because I was frustrated by my work's systems. There were too many times something would go wrong on deadline, and I'd have to result to a back-up plan. So I threw down some dough and got a good computer, and it's probably been my best purchase over the last 17 months.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I bought my own four years ago. The company just bought us all new laptops a couple of months ago, so now my own laptop stays at home, and the company one goes on the road.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We have to buy our own but if we get it approved ahead of time and turn the receipt back in, the company cuts us a check for the cost of the computer and then takes it out of our check (interest-free) for about two years. Something like $8.50 a week. And you can download whatever you want without the risk of getting fired.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Larger newspapers take care of their people? News to me.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Keep in mind: Use a company laptop and something goes wrong, it's their problem. Use your own, and if it gets stolen or damaged, or some dipshit on press row isn't paying attention and spills a bottle of water on it, it's your problem.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Buy your own and then rent it to your newspaper for your own use. If they won't pay the rental fee, you don't use it for them.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't rent mine to the paper, but I wrote it off when I bought it and factor in some depreciation on my taxes. I'm not entirely sure how that works, but my tax lawyer knows.

At my current shop, I don't even know if there are company laptops available for use. Not that it matters since I prefer my own. I know everything on it works fine and I can use my cell phone to e-mail in a story if I need to.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the question on the floor is whether the use a crappy one provided by the company or a nice one you buy yourself.

Is it worth it to give in and let the company win?

Tough question. Not sure how I feel.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I usually just use a BlackBerry when I file on the road. Doesn't take me much longer than using a laptop, and I don't have to go looking for a wireless hot spot.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you have a keyboard you plug in or are you just good with your thumbs?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been in press boxes where laptops have been ruined or stolen, so barring an emergency, don't use your own laptop...

You're helping your company out, but if something happens to it, they're sure as hell not going to do anything to help you out...

Draft saved Draft deleted