1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buy your cheap gas now....just a coupla more weeks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Oct 11, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Figgered this here conspiracy theory out all by yahself, didja BYH?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

There will be some kind of bump for Thanksgiving week travel, just like there is every year. And people will be happy to cook up wild theories to go with the turkey and dressing.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If the spike of prices in November is due to increased travel, why didn't a spike occur three weeks ago at the start of the Chinese national holiday? Do people over there not travel?

We were told that the price increased because of the increase in their's and India's use of oil.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or why didn't gas prices continue to spike over Labor Day weekend?

When gas prices rise, we're told it's increased demand. Seems to me there are just as many cars on the road now as there were two months ago.

But it's OK. The righties here tell us we're wrong so we must be.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would think that given the historical patterns of extended families living together, or at least very close by, you might see a bit less of people gassing up the family truckster to head to Grandma's, or hopping the Wednesday night flight to Beijing. Imposing U.S.-centric thinking on another culture seems a bit, dare we say it, crass.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No, people in China don't travel as much as we do. They practically live on top of one another, right?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

All I know is this summer people were talking about gas prices being anywhere from 4-12 dollars a gallon by Labor Day. Didn't happen. Every time gas prices go up, it's the end of the civilized world, prices are going to skyrocket to European levels, and it's all a conspiracy. Prices dropped this time last year to the point where I could get gas at 1.82 in November. They went up a bit, people AGAIN hit the panic button, then they dipped under 2.00 again as late as February before going up through the spring.

No 4.00 gas yet, though.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Gas is up to $2.25 here. Just yesterday it was $2.10 and up to $2.15.

9. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

We were at 1.96, then up to 2.09 ... I filled up at 1.99 tonight.

I'm in the reddest of red states, too. No way the dems are making an inch of progress here regardless.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sad but true. When you're in a state where the ads for the guy running for chief justice include his prayer partner, you're pretty well gonna stay red.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Saw a poll from that particular red state the other day. GWB still, right now, has a 65% approval rating and nearly 60% still find him honest.

I was astounded. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but damn, 65%? I bet if you took a poll at the White House the numbers wouldn't be much higher.

12. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I just bought a car that uses E85. Either way, I'm in pretty good shape I think.

And wasn't Bin Laden supposed to "magically" be caught by late October two years ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted